How Do I Get Rid of My Beardruff?

CaptainDan

I've had beards of varying lengths for years and during that time, I've had flareups of beard dandruff, or what's commonly referred to as beardruff. It usually starts out with some itching and then, after a while, I notice that my face skin that's under the beard turns red and inflamed. It's pretty terrible. I've tried washing my beard well, but that doesn't do anything. After a while, the flakes begin and it's like I've got dandruff falling out of my beard all day. I once scratched my beard for a minute or so over my lap and it looked like it snowed. I can't believe how much dead skin came out of it. It was so gross. So my question is, how do I get rid of my beard dandruff (beardruff)? Is there anything I can do at home, such as a home remedy? Or do I need to see a doctor or get some special shampoo?

CraigHardy

Okay, first of all, pretty much every man on earth gets beardruff at one point or another. It's not very fun, but it's part of life for those of us who wear beards. I actually used to get this when I didn't even have a beard, so it's not caused by the hair on your face. And just so you know, there is so much misinformation out there on the internet about what to do about skin flakes or dead skin. Don't listen to any of it. Right before I began writing this, I looked the issue up and read that beardruff is the buildup of dead skin cells that grow faster than they fall off. They said it's dry skin, fungus/yeast, or sensitivity to beard products. Most of what they said was BS. The only thing that's been true in my experience is the yeast thing. For thousands of years people have thought the dandruff on their heads was because of dry skin. It's not, but they'd still apply lotions and lubricants, only to make matters worse.

I'll tell you what my problem was and then I'll tell you how I used a home remedy to cure myself.

One day, I'd have great skin. The next, I'd notice that the skin around my mouth was becoming inflamed and turning slightly red. It would almost hurt to the touch. I'd try to add moisturizer to it, which made matter worse. It was only when I applied apple cider vinegar to the area that the skin began to heal and the redness would go away. I'll tell you though, once I added that vinegar to the skin, it would sizzle and after a few days, I'd have flakes like crazy. Some of them were the size of a dime. They'd fall off though and then my skin would be great for a while. The process would start all over again though after a few weeks or months.

It took a couple of years for me to figure this out, but what was causing this inflammation of my beard skin was pasta and white potatoes. There is so much starch and sugar in both of these foods that the yeast or fungus on my skin was having a feeding frenzy. As soon as I added the vinegar to my face, it would kill the yeast and my skin would heal right back up. I cut these foods out of my diet and I haven't had a breakout in so long. And by the way, vinegar is great for getting rid of acne too. It does so many things.

Once I began growing a beard, I noticed that the oils on my face were tougher to remove because of all the hair in the way. This would cause some additional flaking, but the vinegar worked wonders on that too. Now, about once per week I apply either apple cider or regular white vinegar to my beard hairs and let it soak into my skin for a couple of minutes before I get into the shower. I then shampoo my beard and it's all gone. I don't get any flakes anymore. Just be warned that the white vinegar is much stronger than its apple cider counterpart, so it may burn your skin if you're especially inflamed or you're new at this. Also, once you apply the vinegar to your beard, it may take a few lathers with the soap to get rid of it. Your beard hair will feel "sticky" until to rinse it all away. And yes, you'll smell like vinegar for a day or two afterwards, but it's so worth it to cure all that beardruff.