Wood Stove Heat Shield Ideas

WendyMay

I've been trying to come up with ideas for my wood burning stove heat shields and I'd like to get some opinions. Basically, I've situated the wood stove in the corner of a living room type room. It's catty corner, so the stove is at an angle from the corner. It looks nice, but I'd like to add some more protection on the walls, since those are wood. Some sort of pine tongue and groove. I've got at least six inches past code as far as spacing from the rear corners of the stove and the walls goes, but I like to be sure. My last stove heated those same walls up pretty good, so I don't want that to happen again.

Anyway, I've got a list of heat shield ideas and some pros and cons that go along with each one. If you wouldn't mind, please give me your opinions so I can better make a final decision.

Original Equipment Shields: I would love to buy these from the manufacturer, but they're priced at around $150 for the set of two. The reason I like them is because they screw right onto the back of the stove. The rear heat shield that comes with the stove has some pre-drilled holes in it that makes setup easy. They allegedly also do a very good job of reducing the amount of heat that hits the wall. I read on one forum that Englander heat shields reduced the temperature of the walls from 185 degrees to 125 degrees. That was for the 30-NC. Again, I like them as an option, but they're expensive.

Corrugated Steel Roofing Panels: This is a contender. My friend placed a corrugated roofing panel up against his wall that's next to his wood stove and while the stove was very hot, the panel was cool to the touch. It was incredible. They're also pretty cheap at only around $17 per eight footer. The only thing I'm concerned about is the look. I would only go up the wall about three feet, which would keep the appearance of the room appealing, but I've seen some people go from the floor to the ceiling with multiple panels. I wonder what these people are smoking and if they have wives. In other words, what I've seen like this looked absolutely horrible. The smaller, the better in this case.

Bricks: I saw a video where a guy stacked bricks up on each side of the outside of his wood stove. While this might actually block too much heat, it's an idea. Under the right circumstances, I think it may even look sort of cool.

Cement Board: I had an idea a while ago that I could cut some HardieBacker or regular cement board into something like 2'x3' panels and somehow stand them up about a foot away from each side of the stove. While this wouldn't look very good, the entire heat shield project would cost less than $15. I could also mount this board right to the wall behind the stove, which would look a bit better, especially if I painted them black or something.

Tiles: I've seen people make boards with tiles affixed to them and mount them to the walls behind or next to their wood stoves. Again, it's a good idea, but I think this might be a bit complicated. I'm looking for simple. If I lived in an expensive house and this wood stove would going to live in this spot permanently for the next 30 years, I would maybe do something like this. I'm not confident about any of that.

Standing Metal Heat Shield: I've seen these for sale for about $100. I think I saw them in Tractor Supply and then again online. I like the idea of having a steel foldable heat shield placed at the back and rear corners of the stove, but this solution is a bit expensive. Also, the outside air source hose runs from the wall to the rear of the stove. I think that would get in the way of this shield.

Heat Shield Boards: I've seen black heat shield boards for sale at many fireplace shops and online. These usually measure around 3'x3' and really don't cost that much. It's an option.

Brick/Tile: My friend's father had an entire hearth made from brick for his wood stove. While that looked wonderful, it must have cost a fortune. The same is true for having custom tile installed on the walls themselves.

Copper Sheets: And finally, I've seen sheets of copper affixed to people's walls in photos I've run across on the internet. I don't think that will work for me because where the heck am I going to find copper? It might look cool though in the right home.

So there you go. Which one would you choose? Do you have an existing heat shield for your wood burning stove? If so, can you please post a photo? I'd love to see it. Thanks!