Older Women Loving Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

JGaulard

Staff member
If there's one thing I've learned about Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu through the years it's that there's no set demographic to it. Yes, it's true that in one club I used to below to, most of us were in our 30s, men, and were all college educated. We'd sit there on Saturday mornings before training and discuss which books we recently read. It was different in other gyms I belonged to. In one of those others, there were many guys who were younger, say, in their 20s, who used to be in the military. So we'd talk about that kind of stuff when we should have been training. In another school (the one I belong to now), we're a very diverse bunch. We talk about homesteading, painting houses, splitting firewood, hiking, and so many other things. And we range in ages from 15 to mid-50s. One thing I've noticed through the years is that while a good majority of folks I've trained with are male, many more females are getting in on the fun. I actually wrote a blog post on women training Jiu-Jitsu a few years back that's gotten a lot of attention. I can't even remember what I wrote in that post, but I do recall responding to an inflammatory something that Keith Owen either wrote online or said somewhere. I personally love the fact that the ladies are getting into this sport more and more because, in my opinion (and I may be somewhat biased here), we all need Jiu-Jitsu. You can train as hard or as lightly as you want, it's good for you, it's very social, and you can make a lot of friends doing it. All of my friends in the past ten years have been made through Jiu-Jitsu. I'm not even kidding about that. Every single one.

On top of the friendly social aspect of training, you can gain a strong sense of accomplishment, confidence, and self esteem. Back before I ever trained in any type of marital art, I remember thinking about how nervous I'd be if I ever got in a fight. While I think I'd still be nervous, the situations I've put myself through since 2008 have definitely taken the edge off. I no longer think I'd freeze from the adrenaline rush that's inevitable when being confronted. I think I'd handle myself just fine. But now I'm selling BJJ again. I should really stop that.

Anyway, the entire reason for writing this post is to show you a photo of two older females at a BJJ competition. You have no idea how this picture makes me feel. I'm such an advocate for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu as it is - this kind of things makes it all that much better. Take a look at the photo. I don't know, maybe they're in their 70s. How cool is this?

120973413_10223286578661924_94215585881232209_o.jpg