Web App + Other Improvements

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
XenForo really knocked the ball out of the park with their latest update. If you aren't aware, XenForo is the developer who builds the software upon which this forum runs. From what I've read, a few of the top developers at vBulletin left their posts around 2010 to start their own firm. That firm was XenForo and what they've accomplished since is simply phenomenal. The forum software they offer is unparalleled. It's incredible. But really, I've said too much. Needless to say, I'm happy with it.

While you might not notice much of a difference while browsing this website, let me tell you that behind the scenes a lot is going on. Since I upgraded this website from version 2.1.1 to 2.2.1 this week, I've discovered tons of new goodies that I'll be playing with over the next few months and announcing here as they come online. I would like to mention one goodie that I've already gone ahead and set up already though and that's what's referred to as a Progressive Web App. If you aren't familiar with that term, no problem. I had no idea what it was a few days ago either. To sum it up, a progressive web app sits right between a regular app that you'd download from the Google Play Store or the Apple Store and a website. It's actually not much more than a website that's built for mobile and that you can download an icon for on your phone home screen or your computer desktop. It's pretty cool. So basically, if you install the web app for this website, you'll be adding an IndyFor icon to your home screen that you can click to open this site. The site will open just as an app would and you'll be able to browse the site and do everything you normally would.

How do you install our new web app? That's easy. If you're using Chrome on a desktop, you can click the small + icon that sits on the right side of your address bar. Once you do that, you'll be presented with an option to install. If you're using an Android device, visit this site in the browser and then touch the menu that consists of three small dots in the upper right portion of that browser. From there, again, you'll be given the opportunity to install. I'm still trying to determine how to install the app from Apple products such as the iPhone, etc...and when I figure that out, I'll let you know. If you figure it out before I do, please let me know below. Thanks!