Geodesic Solutions GeoCore Software - What's Going On?

JGaulard

Staff member
Reaction score
Used to have very good software.
I would personally get my money back and switch to another software provider. It's not worth the risk to continue use of Geodesic Solutions classifieds and auction software. I believe their most recent update was in early 2018. Eventually, it won't work anymore and you'll have no support. Unless you're a PHP and MySQL programmer and database admin and you can do the work yourself, go with something else.

Alex

Reaction score
I would personally get my money back and switch to another software provider. It's not worth the risk to continue use of Geodesic Solutions classifieds and auction software. I believe their most recent update was in early 2018. Eventually, it won't work anymore and you'll have no support. Unless you're a PHP and MySQL programmer and database admin and you can do the work yourself, go with something else.
Can you recommend other software?

JGaulard

Staff member
Reaction score
For classifieds, many people are now using forum software. They just customize it for classifieds. Try out XenForo. They're one of the best and not too expensive.

https://xenforo.com/

Alex

Reaction score

JGaulard

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello. Thanks a lot., I have looked at XenForo software. It is very good. Do you know this company?
Hi - I have never heard of the company you referenced. I haven't ever used price comparison software before. I have used XenForo though and I like it a lot. You are using it right now.

vicos

Reaction score
As of today, their domain has expired and most admin main pages are probably being polluted with a mess of HTML code.

There used to be a guy in their forums who wrote mods for the software who said to contact him in the event this ever happened as he new the way to ensure the software kept running. I never got his contact info and the forums are gone. Any ideas?

JGaulard

Staff member
Reaction score
There used to be a guy in their forums who wrote mods for the software who said to contact him in the event this ever happened as he new the way to ensure the software kept running. I never got his contact info and the forums are gone. Any ideas?
His username was "Jonyo" and his name is Jonathan Foote. Their most recent developer was named Matt Nelson. I tried to look Matt up, but couldn't find anything on him. He's out there though. Here's some information on Jonathan:

https://www.facebook.com/jonathan.r.foote
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jonathanrfoote/

Let me know what happens.

vicos

Reaction score
Did anyone ever get the promised master software key that Rob --- the owner --- promised licensees would get if the day ever came that they closed up shop?

Are you still running the code?

My problem is that I am stuck on an old version and need to upgrade.

JGaulard

Staff member
Reaction score
If I had to guess, no one got the key. I'm not even sure who was running the company or server for the past few years. For all anyone knows, someone could have bought them up, ran things into the ground, and then closed shop. It's a mystery. There was absolutely no support, Geo was taking customers' money for premium support and then not giving them anything, and the software upgrades stopped. It was nearly impossible to track down who was keeping the server on too. It really is mind boggling. At the very least, they could have offered the code to the users and let them keep it going. To just shut down like this is very dishonorable.

To answer your question, no, I haven't used Geo since 2019. Let me know what you find out if you do any digging.

1kiwi1

Reaction score
Hi all. Firstly, good work JGaulard on keeping your forum first page at Google for Geodesic Solutions info. I'm not sure I've met you on the Geo forum - maybe I have. I'm 1kiwi1 on there, a third party developer in New Zealand for Geo software, however I've put the tools down for now given other pursuits. I have successfully bypassed the license server on a development script but cannot release that as yet. Anyway a number of members (Lui, Snappy, firstads, etc) are on the forum over at forum.geolancer.net. If any want to catch up, share info or ask script questions on there they can. We've constructed it like the old Geodesic forum. Geo may have renewed their domain, but at this stage it doesn't look promising. Just to answer some of your questions around the software licensing server and access. Yes Jonyo did say to get hold of him in the unlikely event Geo's licensing server went down. He may have access to either a special key or a decoded developers script. Jonyo's available at liloconsulting.com. I'm also friends with Matt Nelson on Facebook, however I don't think he'd be doing much given his move away from Geo way-back. There's also blufyremedia.com, geomodules.com and a few others who are still developing. I've heard different feedback as to how responsive they are at the moment.Thanks.

Last edited:

JGaulard

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I've met you on the Geo forum - maybe I have. I'm 1kiwi1 on there, a third party developer in New Zealand for Geo software, however I've put the tools down for now given other pursuits.
Hi there! Yes, I do recall seeing you on the Geo forums. I never contributed much, but I was a long time user of their software. Since 2004/2005, as a matter of fact. I wish I was able to offer more in the way of coding and all that, but I'm not sure I was ever good enough to consider myself an authority. Anyway, thank you for the resources - I'm sure others will appreciate them while trying to navigate this mess.

705jas

Reaction score
Hi all -

With the Geodesic domain going west, what implications does this have for sites currently running this software? Will they continue to function....? Thanks.

JGaulard

Staff member
Reaction score
Not quite sure as I don't run the software anymore. Would be nice to get some input from those who have sites currently up and running. Are they still up? Any errors?

705jas

Reaction score
Hi All

Currently, my site (3k + members) is working as normal but of course, links to any documentation is gone! Does anyone have a way of accessing doco? Ironically I went to Geodesic 6 years ago after my previous software supplier disappeared without a trace......

1kiwi1

Reaction score
Hi, yes a number of us have reached out to the Geocore founders in various ways to no avail. We have a thread up at forum.geolancer.net which basically paves a way forward. I've installed a development geosite on php7.4, doesn't use ioncube or the license server (which is now defunct). The internal proprietary files could now be considered legacy code serving no purpose, yet still hinder customers using their own parts of the software. Suggestion is to keep ioncube to obfuscate our investment in a limited way while reworking proprietary parts to work for us. We've accomplished most of that already. Thanks.

james2020

Reaction score
Hello all. I have bought a Geodesic Solutions software. And that has save error. Support from company geodesic solutions unfortunately does not answer. I used to use the old version and ran a parr years . But now the new version has an error in it. Please who knows how to help me?
Thanks,
Alex
Hi Alex, can i have the copy you have? I’m unable to contact Geo. Their domain is expired. I cannot access to client panel to download. BTW If I can fix the error, I will let you know. Thanks.

705jas

Reaction score
Hi All, Flynax can import all my accounts and adverts etc and do a "live" change over. I cant wait any longer just hoping my GeoCore site won't die. I'm outta here! Good luck to all.
cheers....Allan

JGaulard

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All, Flynax can import all my accounts and adverts etc and do a "live" change over. I cant wait any longer just hoping my GeoCore site won't die. I'm outta here! Good luck to all.
cheers....Allan
That's very good news and a wise decision.

codemiles

Reaction score
cheers....Allan
Any updates please on this? Is a script for this migration between the two software?

[email protected]

Reaction score
Any updates please on this? Is a script for this migration between the two software?
It would be great to have a little more info on what is involved to build a new site on Flynax and move the Geodesic database / adverts / registrations / passwords etc over.

My website motorsportauctions.com has 6,500 registered users and at any one time about 3,000 live adverts.

Graham

Geodesic Solutions GeoCore Software - What's Going On? was posted on 10-22-2020 by JDJ in the Tech Forum forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSAK