Does Firewood Need to be Split to Season (Dry)?

• Thread starter CraigHardy
  • Start date
CraigHardy

CraigHardy

I've been cutting down many trees on my property and I'm wondering the best way to dry the wood. I'd definitely like it to be fully seasoned before I bring it in my house to burn it over the winter. My question is, do I need to split all of the rounds before the wood will dry? Or can I keep it as is? I've already cut the logs into firewood sized lengths, so that's not a concern. I've heard that logs dry out at the ends, but I'm not so sure about that. Any advice would be appreciated.

CaptainDan

CaptainDan

There are two things you need to consider when drying out your freshly cut down trees. How large your logs are and how much time you've got to let them dry. I guess there's a third consideration as well. Whether or not your wood is covered. If your logs are less than six inches thick, you probably don't need to split them, granted you're storing them in a dry location with lots of air flow. You're also going to need at least a year for those to dry as well. Seasoning firewood takes a long time. I know many people claim that they let their wood dry for a few months and it's fine, but from personal experience, I've let wood dry for two years and it still hisses when I try to burn it. My logs were fairly thick though, so that may have been a factor. I also don't let my wood dry outside to get maximum sunshine and air flow. I stack it in a wood shed when it's green. That's not the best route to take, but that's all I've got. So to answer your question, if you take your green wood and split it up so each piece is no larger than three to four inches thick and you stack it for at least a year outside (but covered on top to stay dry), you should be fine. I would think that is long enough. Although, some wood, such as oak, take two years to season. And I've had six inch thick pieces of maple that I never split that still haven't dried after a few years. Splitting wood definitely speeds up the seasoning and drying process. But, if you've got the time, space, and patience, then stack the wood and let it dry on its own.