Invert Selection in Photoshop

CaptainDan

Inverting a selection in Adobe Photoshop is one of the most simple tasks available. Basically, it's only a few steps. In today's post, I'll be explaining exactly how to invert your selection and then I'll be working through an example that demonstrates the process, step by step.

To start off, here are the instructions:

- First, make your selection with any of the available selection tools in Photoshop.

- Then, head up to the Select > Inverse menu item in the top bar and click. You'll instantly see the result you're looking for. Whatever it is you initially had selected won't be anymore and everything that wasn't selected will be. You'll be inverting it, if you will.

Okay, now that that's out of the way, let's get into a quick demonstration.

I'll open Photoshop and then I'll open (File > Open or Ctrl+O) a photograph in the application. I'll start off with a photo of a dessert plate with a spoon sitting on it.

dessert-plate-spoon.jpg

Then, I'll head over to the Quick Selection Tool in the left toolbar.

photoshop-quick-selection-tool.jpg

Once I have that tool chosen, I'll go ahead and make my selection. In this case, I'll select the spoon. Since this is for demonstration purposes, I'll just do this quickly and dirtily. Or, quick and dirty.

photoshop-selection.jpg

Now, if I wanted to select everything but the spoon, I could easily do that. I'll go to the Select > Inverse menu item in the top menu and click.

select-inverse-menu-item.jpg

With that chosen, I'll see that the original selection has been inverted. So basically, everything in the image is now selected, other than the spoon itself. Take a look at the next image. See the selection marching ants on the outer border and around the spoon? Those outer border ants are the only way we can tell what's actually selected.

inverse-selection-photoshop.jpg

I suppose if I fill the selection with black, the selected area would be more obvious. Here that is.

filled-selection.jpg

And that's all there is to it. Mind you, you can use any selection tool here to accomplish this, from the Rectangular Marquee Tool, the Elliptical Marquee Tool, and so on. If you've got any questions about this process or if you've got anything to add, please do so below. Thanks!