DIY Wood Stove Hearth Pad Ideas

• Thread starter EmeraldHike
  • Start date
EmeraldHike

EmeraldHike

I am planning on adding a wood stove to my home and I would like to ask if anyone has any ideas for an inexpensive hearth. I have seen some of these for sale at Home Depot, Lowes, and some local fireplace shops, but they're all pretty expensive. And to be honest, you don't get much for what you pay for. Some of the time hearth pads cost upwards of $500. And what do you get for that? Just some tiles affixed to a pad. I don't think it's worth it.

The wood stove I'll be buying is used, so I don't want to break the bank when it comes to the heath. I would like to do this DIY if possible, but I just need some ideas. Any takers?

LukeLewis

LukeLewis

I used to live in a house that had two wood stoves in it. And because of these two wood stoves, we had two hearths. Both were installed by us and both were very inexpensive. I hardly spent any money on the building materials at all.

I added a few pictures to this post. For the first hearth pad, I used 7" driveway (or patio) pavers that I bought from Home Depot. I just measured the area I wanted and did the math to figure out how many I needed. I also bought some sheets of cement board and placed that underneath the pavers so I would meet the code for necessary r-value. To surround the pavers and cement board, I added rough cut 4"x4"s that I bought from a neighbor. I screwed the wood to the floor and then stained it brown. I added some polyurethane to make it shine. All of this wasn't a lot of money. Probably under $100 in total.

The next DIY hearth pad I created was super simple. All I did was cut a 3/4" piece of plywood (I think 4'x5') and lay it on the floor where the wood stove would be going. Then, I cut two pieces of Hardiebacker to place on top of the plywood, since Hardiebacker is non-combustible. After that, I placed some 18" patio pavers on the Hardiebacker. It's pretty solid and it's non-combustible. I'm pretty sure the thickness meets code, but I've never felt any heat down on those pavers anyway. I think between the backer board and the pavers, I spent $50. I had the plywood, so I'm not including that in the cost. You can definitely make a wood stove hearth pad yourself. Keep looking for different ideas and examples and then come up with a plan. These things don't need to be elaborate.

Attachments

• 001-paver-hearth-pad-idea.jpg
    001-paver-hearth-pad-idea.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 002-hearth-pad-made-from-pavers.jpg
    002-hearth-pad-made-from-pavers.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 003-wood-stove-hearth-patio-pavers.jpg
    003-wood-stove-hearth-patio-pavers.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 004-diy-homemade-hearth-pad.jpg
    004-diy-homemade-hearth-pad.jpg