Looking to Begin Blogging - How Do I Start?

CaptainDan

I'm looking to start getting into blogging. I do a lot of pretty exciting things in my life and I want to write about it and show pictures of it. The thing is, I don't really know where to start. I know of some blogging software, but I don't know about hosting or anything else.

I have come up with a domain name that I'm happy with and I'll buy that soon. What I'm going to do is actually write my first blog post before I do anything and then I'll send that to a friend for review. When he tells me what he thinks about it and if he's happy with it, I'll take the first official step and register the domain.

I'm looking for advice from experienced bloggers. If you had a start a new blog today, what would you do? How would you go about it?

Last edited by a moderator:

CampFireJack

There are actually quite a few pieces to the blogging puzzle and you'll eventually need to know about all of them. Luckily, these days it's much easier to get going than it used to be. I remember when I first began blogging about 10 years ago, it was such a pain. I used Wordpress and had it installed on a server at a hosting company and the software was somewhat challenging to work with. These days, it's so much easier.

You have already thought of a domain name. Good. Buy it, even if you don't use it for some time. Through Google Domains, domain names only cost $12 for a .com. After that, you'll need to make sure you can do a few things. First, you'll need to make sure you can write. Even if you're no expert, you will need to get something down in your posts. People tend to become better writers as they begin blogging more, so don't sweat the fact that you might not be the greatest writer right now. As long as you're open to learning and continuously practicing, then you'll be just fine.

People love looking at photos in blog posts, so you should start getting used to taking pictures of lots of stuff. Each post you write is a story and photos go hand in hand with stories. I know people who never read anything written in blog posts. They only look at the pictures. To me, that's kind of sad, but each to his own, I suppose.

Think about what you want to write about. This is where people find the most difficulty. Each and every interest you have is a potential post. Every activity you engage in is a post. If you're into hiking, write about where the trail is, directions to get there, it's difficulty, photos of the area, video of the hiking itself. There is so much to write about. Are you learning photography? Write about that. Each question you ask Google should also be a post. If you're asking it, someone else is asking it too. Why not become a source for the answer? If you have any questions about content, please ask me. I have tons of suggestions.

Really, all you'll need from this point on is to decide on a blogging platform. Most people use WordPress. I mean, unless you're looking for something very specific, WordPress is pretty much a no-brainer. You'll just need to think about if you want to host the software yourself in your own hosting account or on the WordPress.com website. As a new blogger, I recommend you have it hosted with them. It's free in the beginning and if you start growing your site, you can always pay a few dollars a month to upgrade. You can also make it so your domain name points to your site pretty easily. So really, it's an easy process. If I were you, I'd go set a WordPress.com site up and start writing today. Be sure not to overthink things. The most important thing is to get going now. Too many people get stuck at each phase of blogging and never get off the ground. They find it intimidating. So many blogs fail before starting. Don't let this happen to you. Start blogging right now and keep going forever. Ask if you have questions.

EmeraldHike

I actually started a thread yesterday that talks about blogging and what can happen to a blog over the long term if you don't pay close attention to how much you're writing. You can read that post here. Basically, my advice to you would be to, after you get your blogging platform all squared away, is to write one post "series" as opposed to multiple posts. Writing longer posts will keep your website fit and trim and will create what the search engine optimization (SEO) world calls "evergreen" articles. These are articles that stand the test of time and remain relevant forever. So if you write a post about hiking, for example, keep adding to that one post until it becomes pretty long. Don't write multiple short posts about different places you've hiked. Or, if your posts are really great (long and informative) to begin with, leave them as separate, but merge similarly themed ones into one common post. Like, if you hike every weekend in New York City's Central Park, don't write separate posts about that every weekend. Keep those excursions in one post with headers separating each outing. And then begin another post about hiking in another area in, say, New Jersey. You get the idea.