Is White Pine Good to Burn?

• Thread starter WendyMay
  • Start date
WendyMay

WendyMay

We've got a property that's full of white pine trees. Through the years, many tops of these trees have blown off and in this recent storm, a few more did. It's creating a mess in our woods. Every year, we buy three cords of firewood. I'm wondering if we can save some money and just but up and burn the white pine. Anyone have any experience with this? I heard it's no good to burn soft woods.

CraigHardy

CraigHardy

The snobs among us only burn hardwoods, but if you've got lots of white pine, go ahead and burn that too. There's nothing wrong with it as long as you make sure it's really dry. When pine is wet, it'll smoke and not burn very well. That smoke will clog up your chimney and chimney cap. You'll definitely want to keep your eye on those two things. Also, dry pine burns quickly, so make sure you've got a lot of wood on hand until you get used to how much you are going to use. If you think you're going to get through a winter with only white pine, you better think again. I've burned it and it goes fast. Even huge pieces that I've put in my stove have burned down quickly. So add it to your stacks of hardwood until you get used to it.

Phoenix1

Phoenix1

Make sure you have hard wood to burn over night. You won't get through the night with pine. Any type of pine. What I used to do was to burn my pine and spruce during October, November, and part of December and then again in late March, April, and early May. I did that because those were the warmest times of the burning season and I didn't need a cranking fire during those times. During the heart of the winter, I might burn some pine and spruce, but only during the day when I was around. I wouldn't rely on it. It can burn hot if very dry and it goes quickly. Obviously you'd like to be burning nice oak, maple, and ash, but you do what you gotta do.

Remember, you need to really let the white pine dry. It'll be remarkably light when it's fully dry. Don't try to burn it wet. Just because it's pine doesn't mean it'll burn well. The dryer, the better. And when it's fully dry, go ahead and split some of it up to use as kindling too. You probably won't need to use paper if you get your pieces small and dry. Remember though, you'll burn a lot of this pine, so make sure you have the room to store it. It's good on those warmer days, as I said, to start a fire and then let it die down, just to take the chill out of the air. I do that all the time in the warmer months. Softwoods are perfect for this. I would never burn red oak in late September. That's what the spruce is for.

As far as a comparison goes, white pine is about half the BTUs than what oak is, so again, make sure you've got the storage space.

WendyMay

WendyMay

Thanks. Yeah, from what I've been reading, people say it's fine to burn. They said all the stuff you just said, so nice job. You guys know your stuff. We have many trees that have blown over. Some have had their tops blown out a couple of years ago, but the wood seems to be good when we cut into them. I guess it takes a while for this type of wood to rot. We'll go ahead with it then. We'll cut it up, stack it outside for a while until it dries well and then we'll stack it in our shelter. I'm looking forward to it. It would be nice to clean up the woods some too. Boy these trees are ugly on the ground.