How to Tie Basic Knots

• Thread starter CraigHardy
  • Start date
CraigHardy

CraigHardy

Arbor Knot​

This is another excellent sliding loop knot that's perfect for securing a rope to something with an eyelet, such as an anchor or a fish hook. This one is especially easy to tie and it's strong to boot.

To tie this knot, I first placed my rope on the table and made sort of a half loop with the rope's end.

arbor-knot-half-loop.jpg

Next, I made a loop with the working end and placed the working end over the standing part.

arbor-knot-loop-working-end.jpg

After that, I brought the working end around the standing part and fed it through the loop I made earlier.

arbor-knot-working-end-around-standing-part.jpg

And then I went around a few more times.

arbor-knot-two-wraps.jpg

arbor-knot-three-wraps.jpg

And finally, after pulling on the loop some, the wraps tightened and left me with a perfect Arbor knot.

arbor-knot.jpg

CraigHardy

CraigHardy

Portuguese Bowline​

I think another name for this knot could be the "double looped" Bowline. It's basically a simple Bowline with two loops as opposed to just one. I'm sure it's nice and strong. I'm not sure how much stronger than it's little brother, but it feels pretty good in my hands.

To tie this knot, I first made a loop with the end of my rope.

portuguese-bowline-first-loop.jpg

After that, I made another loop, right around the first loop.

portuguese-bowline-second-loop.jpg

I then began feeding the working end under the outer loop.

portuguese-bowline-working-end-under-loop.jpg

And then I fed the working end under and through the inner loop as well.

portuguese-bowline-working-end-through-inner-loop.jpg

Next, I brought the working end up and around the standing part and then through the inner loop again.

portuguese-bowline-working-end-around-standing-part.jpg

To tighten the knot, I held the two outer loops in place and pulled the standing part so it tightened just the inner loop.

portuguese-bowline.jpg

How to Tie Basic Knots was posted on 12-28-2020 by CraigHardy in the Outdoor Forum forum.