Photoshop Batch Action: Set the Name Field to be the Next Opened File?

Johnny Mac

Hello, I was sent here from another forum.

I am trying to record a Photoshop CC 2021 action to run as a batch. Do you know how I can set the Name field to be the next opened file? Thanks in advance!

JGaulard

Staff member
Hi @Johnny Mac! Welcome to the forum.

Just to be clear, you would like to run an action on a file, say, open, sharpen, resize, etc... and then open another file of a specific name within the same action? Then, the same action would modify that newly opened file? Or are you attempting to alter the names of a batch of files?

Thanks,

Jay

Johnny Mac

I am attempting to generate video thumbnails. Run batch on a Folder.

Open Video, Set Frame on Timeline (5:00 mm:ss), Layer Via Copy, Delete Video, Resize

Here is the tricky part:

If I Save/Save As, or set parameters in the Action Dialogue Box (None, Save & Close, Folder), it continues to use the Name of the first video file opened.

I wrote this batch years ago, but my recent update removed it as being incompatible. Photoshop CC 22.1.0

Thanks for the reply!

JGaulard

Staff member
Wow, this is a tricky one. I'll need to do a little homework and then respond if I can make any sense of that. It's almost like it's a bug in Photoshop or something. Although, I have seen some crazy workarounds in my day. Let me think about this one. I can imagine how frustrating it is to have the same filename used over and over when that should obviously change as new files are used.