SD Card Not Working with YouTube Music on Samsung A01

15Katey

I received my Tracfone Samsung Galaxy A01 phone yesterday and was excited to set it up. I primarily use it for the web, email, texting, and listening to music. Since Google has gotten rid of Play Music, I transferred everything to YouTube Music. That was fine on my tablet and desktop, but I'm having issues with it on my new phone.

Since this phone was shipped with only 16GB of internal storage, I bought a 128GB micro SD card. I installed the card after I set the phone up and it shows that it's there under the phone settings, but I can't seem to get YouTube Music to recognize it. I set the card up the same exact way I set it up in my tablet, but for some reason, it's just not showing now. When I visit YouTube Music and click on my account icon in the upper right corner, I'll continue on to Settings > Library & Downloads. That's where I see the SD card on my tablet, but for the phone, it's a no show.

I would really like to download my music library onto the SD card so I can listen to it without using any data (streaming). Does anyone know how to get YouTube Music to recognize the SD card?

By the way, everything else works fine. I can stream my music without any issue. It's just that I can't download it to the phone.

KristinaW

I had the same problem on my Samsung A10E and A50. I'll tell you how I solved the problem, but I can't guarantee that it'll work for you. Also, I have Android 10 installed on my phones.

Go to Settings > Device Care > Storage > Advanced > SD Card > Format. I know, this is buried in the settings panel. Basically, if you installed a brand new SD card, it needs to be formatted before use. Sometimes the cards are recognized and sometimes they aren't. So make sure you don't have any valuable data on your card and then go ahead and format it.

The next thing you need to do is unmount the card and then mount it again. In the same panel, you should find an Unmount button. Click that to unmount the card and then click the button again to mount it. Then, go back into YouTube Music to see if the card is recognized. It should be. Maybe you need to restart the phone too.

15Katey

Thank you for this. One more question. How do I check my Android version?

KristinaW

To check the Android version on your phone (or tablet), go to Settings > About Phone > Software Information. That area will tell you a lot of information, but your version number should be up near the top. Also, realize that all the same (or most of) options are available on all Android versions. It's just that the menus to get to the options may look different. So if you can't find the settings I referenced here, just keep looking around. It's in there.

15Katey

It worked! Thank you so much. I can now download all my music to my phone and even if I don't have any cell signal, I can still listen to it. This is great.

Do you happen to have any experience with changing wallpapers on these phones? Mine only came with four of them and they're all awful. I would like to update them. I searched Google for Android Wallpapers and found about a zillion images that I could use. I just don't know how to get one from my computer over to my phone and then set it as the wallpaper. Any ideas?

KristinaW

Oh that's easy. If you're looking at the images on your computer, just email the one you like to yourself. Then, on your phone, check your Gmail. Touch the picture so it opens up and then touch the three dot menu in the upper right corner. From there, press Save. After that, close out of the image and then go to your gallery. Touch the picture you just saved so it opens up. Again, touch the three dot menu in the upper right and choose Set as Wallpaper. You'll have the option of setting it to the home screen, the lock screen, or both. Just remember to press the Accept button on the next screen after you pick one of these. If you leave before doing that, the new wallpaper won't be applied. Also, you can of course download one of the many apps that include both image and live wallpapers, but if you're happy with a particular picture, then that's fine too. Plus, you won't have to deal with any ads. Many of those apps are loaded with ads.

15Katey

Thank you for all your help. I finally have my phone set up the way I want. My only problem now is that I can't call or text with it. For some reason, I don't think it's been activated by Tracfone yet. I went through the process online, but I am still getting the circle with a line through it for signal. A little while ago, I hopped in my car to find better signal and I found it. I got a few bars, but when I tried to make a call (or calls), I got the call ended message every time. Nothing happened. A second after every single call, the call ended message would show in red. I couldn't text or browse the internet either. The phone said I had no service. I tried calling Tracfone at their 800 number from home, but the wait time was too long. Do you know how long it usually takes to activate a Tracfone? Is the call ended message common for phones that aren't yet activated?

KristinaW

That sounds like your phone might not be activated yet. Tracfone says that activation is instant, but that it can also take up to 24 hours. You should try to contact them via their chat to see what's going on. Don't bother calling them, their support chat is much better and faster.

To learn more about phone activation, take a look here: https://ww2.tracfone.com/includes/c...jsp?enId=FA10025&esId=FA10026&a=1496929608101

If you'd like to troubleshoot making or receiving calls, take a look here: https://ww2.tracfone.com/includes/c...jsp?enId=FA10078&esId=FA10079&a=1505959923521

I have had this type of issue in the past and I was told to find a good cell signal and then to call *73. After that, reboot the phone. I tried that and it worked.

15Katey

I got in touch with Tracfone and they informed me that the phone was activated. I still had the no signal circle with the line through it, so I rebooted my phone. After a few seconds, I saw the signal bars appear and then I received a phone notification that the SIM card was being updated. After about a minute or so, I was able to use data and make a phone call, so problem solved! Thank you for all your help. Now I can download music, change my wallpaper, and actually use the phone for calls and text.

KristinaW

Congrats on your working phone. To initially set your phone up, you need good signal. At least two bars is preferable. If you don't have enough signal, the tower can't find the phone to update and activate the SIM card. It looks like you found that good service. This type of problem usually happens to folks who live in the country out there in the rural areas.

CaptainDan

I received my Tracfone Samsung Galaxy A01 phone yesterday and was excited to set it up. I primarily use it for the web, email, texting, and listening to music. Since Google has gotten rid of Play Music, I transferred everything to YouTube Music. That was fine on my tablet and desktop, but I'm having issues with it on my new phone.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your Samsung A01? I have seen a few reviews of this phone and it looks good. The only consequential difference as I can tell is that this phone comes with only 16GB of internal storage, while other more expensive phones come with at least 32GB. My question is, who cares? Go to Wal Mart or Amazon and buy an SD card to add more storage. Who uses internal storage anyway? I guess if you have lots of apps that you don't want to put on the external card, that's one thing, but otherwise, I think this phone is a bargain at $129.

15Katey

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your Samsung A01? I have seen a few reviews of this phone and it looks good. The only consequential difference as I can tell is that this phone comes with only 16GB of internal storage, while other more expensive phones come with at least 32GB. My question is, who cares? Go to Wal Mart or Amazon and buy an SD card to add more storage. Who uses internal storage anyway? I guess if you have lots of apps that you don't want to put on the external card, that's one thing, but otherwise, I think this phone is a bargain at $129.
On the Tracfone website, this phone was originally priced at $79.99. It's currently on sale for $59.99 and that's what I paid for it. Free 2-day shipping via FedEx as well. You can't beat that. This is an incredible phone. It sells for the same price in Wal Mart.