DSLR vs. Mirrorless Cameras

WendyMay

Reaction score
DSLR vs. Mirrorless Cameras

I've been doing a bit of reading on the differences between these two types of cameras and I thought I'd discuss them just a tad bit more here. I don't want to beat a dead horse because this type of information is available plentifully on the internet, but I do want to be as thorough as possible.

What I've found in regards to the pros and cons of these two cameras somewhat coincide with what I shared above, but a few new factors have been introduced. Take a read below to learn more.

DSLR Camera Advantages

- Longer running battery time.
- Even when the camera is off, you can still see through the viewfinder. And what you see is exactly what the lens sees.
- The brightness you see through the viewfinder corresponds with the brightness in your actual surroundings.
- A huge selection of lenses for both cropped and full sensor DSLRs.

Mirrorless Camera Advantages

- Mechanically speaking, these cameras are far less complex than their DSLR counterparts.
- These camera are much lighter than DSLRs, which might actually become a hindrance due to the possibility of slightly shaking the camera when trying to keep it steady.
- What you see through the viewfinder is actually what will be recorded on the memory card.
- While taking a photo, you can continue to see your scene through the viewfinder.

There's got to be more, but these are the biggies. So really, it all depends on what matters to you. Personally, I don't need to see a scene through an optical viewfinder as I'd much more prefer to see what's going to be the recorded picture. I don't think I've ever looked through my optical viewfinder when my camera was off. Also, I take a lot of photos using live view, so a mirrorless camera would make sense for me. I've actually been looking at mirrorless alternatives for my DSLR, so when it comes time to buy my next body, I may go in that direction.

DSLR vs. Mirrorless Cameras was posted on 01-03-2021 by WendyMay in the Photography Forum forum.