Sweet Tsimmes Recipe

JodyBuchanan

Sweet Tsimmes Recipe

Just as a reminder, you can find the other recipes for our Christmas dinner here. We had many of the same things we prepared for Thanksgiving, so this one was pretty easy to put together.

If you aren't aware of where Tsimmes originate, check this out:

Tzimmes, tsimmes (Yiddish: צימעס‎, Hebrew: צִימֶעס‎) is a traditional Ashkenazi Jewish stew typically made from carrots and dried fruits such as prunes or raisins, often combined with other root vegetables (including yam).

For the recipe I'll share below, I went with prunes and sweet potato along with the carrots, but next time I may swap the prunes out for raisins as the raisins are less expensive. I also think the raisins will distribute among the vegetables better than the prunes do. It really is a great side dish and it's perfect for those who have never tried anything like it. There's lemon juice and honey and tons of flavor. It think you'll like it. It's a good one for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Ingredients

Serves: 4

1 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
3 Tablespoons Honey
3 Tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, Divided
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
1 Pound Carrots, Trimmed, Peeled and Cut Into 1/2 Inch Rounds
1 Large Sweet Onion, Trimmed, Peeled and Sliced Thin
1 Large Sweet Potato, Trimmed, Peeled and Cut Into 1/2 Inch Pieces
1/2 Pound Pitted Prunes or Raisins
1/2 Cup Orange Juice
4 Tablespoons Parsley, Chopped

Instructions

1. Prep all the ingredients.

2. Pre-heat oven to 400°. Place a rack in the middle position.

3. Warm a large skillet over medium heat on your stove top. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet and then add in the carrots and the onion. Let these vegetables saute for about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally. The goal here is to soften them a bit and if you can get some brown on the onions, that would be great.

4. In a medium sized bowl, combine the honey, ginger, salt, remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, red pepper flakes, and lemon juice. Whisk everything together well.

5. When the vegetables are slightly softened on the stove top, go ahead and add the honey and lemon mixture you just made to that skillet. Then add in the orange juice, sweet potatoes, and prunes, mix well, and place the skillet in the oven for approximately 30 minutes.

6. When finished, remove the skillet and sprinkle in the parsley. Divide, plate, and serve. Enjoy!

Attachments

• tsimmes.jpg
    tsimmes.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 0
  • tsimmes-carrots-sweet-potatoes.jpg
    tsimmes-carrots-sweet-potatoes.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 0