German Red Cabbage Recipe

JodyBuchanan

German Red Cabbage Recipe

This is another super easy recipe to prepare. We make this a few times a year, with Thanksgiving and St. Patrick's Day being at the forefront. It's fun to eat as a side or on top of a salad. Just last night we put some in your salads and loved every minute of it. Now, this recipe is typically prepared with bacon and bacon grease, but this is a vegetarian version of it. Of course bacon makes everything taste better, but this tastes pretty good, if you ask me. Check it out.

Ingredients

1 Large Red Cabbage, Sliced 1/4 Inch Thick (remove the white core)
4 Tablespoons Butter
4 Tablespoons Sugar
1/2 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
2 Teaspoons Salt (or to taste)
1 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
4 Cups Water +/-

Instructions

1. Add the cabbage to a large pot and turn the heat of your stove top to medium-high. Add the butter too.

2. Saute the cabbage for about 10 minutes, stirring every so often. This is to get a little brown on the cabbage for flavor.

3. Add the sugar, salt, pepper, vinegar, and water to the pot. The water should reach about 2/3 of the way up the cabbage. You don't want to add too much, lest you dilute the flavors and end up with too much liquid. You want to add enough though so that the cabbage cooks properly.

4. Increase the heat to high and wait for a boil. When that occurs, cover the pot and reduce the heat to medium. Continue cooking until the cabbage is nice and soft. This will probably take between 20 and 30 minutes.

5. When the cabbage is soft, you're finished. Keep the liquid because that's one of the best parts of the side dish.

I love these easy recipes because they're so simple to prepare, yet they're so tasty and traditional. Let me know how you like this one. Enjoy!

Attachments

• cooked-red-cabbage-recipe.jpg
    cooked-red-cabbage-recipe.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 1
  • german-red-cabbage.jpg
    german-red-cabbage.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator: