Mashed Turnip Recipe

JodyBuchanan

Mashed Turnip Recipe

This is a Thanksgiving staple that shouldn't be missed. I've been enjoying this side dish since I was a kid and I look forward to it every year. And with its ease of preparation, there's no excuse not to make it. The simplest way to prepare it only calls for three ingredients, but since we're feeling jazzy these days, we'll go ahead and add a few more. By the way, the three ingredients are turnip, salt, and pepper. We'll go with the creamy version instead.

Ingredients

Serves: 6-8

2-3 Pound Turnip
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
3 Tablespoons Butter

Instructions

1. Peel the skin from the turnip and then cut it (the turnip) into one inch cubes.

2. Fill a large pot about half way with water and bring that to a boil over high heat. When boiling, add the turnip to the water.

3. Allow to boil for about 15-20 minutes or until the turnip become soft and you can easily push a fork through a piece.

4. When that happens, drain the pot of water, leaving the turnip behind. Keep the pot over medium heat for a few minutes to dry any excess liquid out of it.

5. Mash the turnip with a masher until it's of the consistency of mashed potatoes. You really can't mash turnip too much, so have at it.

6. Add the salt, pepper, butter, and cream to the pot and continue to mash until all the ingredients are combined well. Give it a taste and if you need to add more butter, then do so. This will depend on the size of the turnip you used.

That's it! I told you it was easy. And it's so delicious too. Enjoy!

Attachments

• thanksgiving-mashed-turnip.jpg
    thanksgiving-mashed-turnip.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator: