Butternut Squash Soup Recipe

JodyBuchanan

Butternut Squash Soup Recipe

In the cookbook, they call this a Butternut Squash Bisque recipe, but that doesn't really matter. They're both the same thing. This was a simple recipe to prepare for Thanksgiving and while I did use the Soups recipe book I mentioned earlier, I also took advantage of some of my own secrets to make an incredible soup. I'll merge everything together to give you the best of the best.

Ingredients

Serves 4-6

2 Tablespoons Butter
2 Onions, Peeled and Diced
1 Medium Size Butternut Squash, Peeled, Cleaned, and Cut into 1 Inch Cubes (3-4 Pounds)
2-3 Cups +/- Vegetable Broth
1 Sweet Potato, Peeled and Cut into 1 Inch Pieces
2 Medium Sized Carrots, Peeled and Cut into 1 Inch Pieces
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Paprika
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons Pure Maple Sugar
1 14 Ounce Can Coconut Milk

A few notes before I begin with the instructions. If you've ever tried traditional butternut squash soup, you know it turns out very velvety and smooth. It can also sometimes turn out one dimensional. Because of this dimensional risk, I've been adding sweet potato and carrot to my soups to add texture and sweetness. The results have been great.

Also, this type of soup has a tendency to end up watery if you don't pay close attention to how much broth you add. This is because of the squash containing so much water itself. It doesn't reveal itself until the end as you're blending. What I like to do as I'm cooking is only add a few cups of broth in the beginning and then add more along the way, when I can see how much is needed. Basically, about half way through, lift the lid of the pot and make sure that nothing is floating around. You should have just enough liquid to firmly push the squash, potato, and carrots almost beneath. That's all the broth you want to add. The squash will release the rest of the necessary liquid.

Another two factors you'll need to concern yourself with for the best tasting soup are sweetness and saltiness. After you blend at the end, you'll need to do some tasting. Add more sugar/syrup and salt at that point if necessary.

Instructions

1. Warm a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the butter and the onion. Stir the onion in the butter for about 10 minutes until it softens and is just turning brown. When you brown onions, you release their natural sugars.

2. Add the butternut squash, sweet potato, and carrots and cook for about five more minutes.

3. Add in the broth, salt, pepper, ginger, cinnamon, paprika, brown sugar, and syrup. Place the lid on the pot and let everything cook for about 30 minutes or until the potato is soft enough to easily push a fork into. About half way through, check the level of liquid. Again, you don't want too much. If you feel like you've got too much, keep the lid off the pot for the rest of the cooking to evaporate and if you feel that you don't have enough, add some more.

4. After everything has been softened, turn off the heat and use a hand blender to puree the contents of the pot. Then, once that's done, add in the can of coconut milk. You'll notice that the milk adds some liquid and that's why I'm so careful about not having too much throughout the cooking.

That's all you need to do. Divide between bowls to serve and enjoy. The reason this recipe is so much better than so many others out there is because I include sweet potato and carrot. I also like to use brown sugar and syrup to add sweetness and spices to give some kick. Let me know what you think about this. I have a feeling you'll like it. Add some of your own tweaks down below. Enjoy!

Attachments

• butternut-squash-soup-recipe.jpg
    butternut-squash-soup-recipe.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 1
  • thanksgiving-butternut-squash-bisque.jpg
    thanksgiving-butternut-squash-bisque.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator: