Nissan Frontier Stuck in Snow - No 4WD?

EmeraldHike

A few days ago, I parked my 2015 Nissan Frontier in about 8 inches of snow on level ground. Approximately two hours later, I attempted to reverse out of that snow. There were no uphills or snowbanks or anything. The area was right off my friend's driveway. As I tried to reverse back onto the driveway, my truck began to spin the tires. My friend told me that only one of the fronts and one of the rears spun. I wasn't able to back up. I made it a few inches and that's it.

Does anyone know what the heck is going on? My tires aren't snow tires, but still, I thought this truck had four wheel drive. Does it not? Is there a way I can lock the hubs or something to make is positraction or to lock both tires at the front and the rear to I get better traction? I can't be getting stuck in the snow on level ground anymore.

Phoenix1

For your truck, 2WD comes standard. You must have upgraded or have an upgraded model because you've got the 4WD version. Your truck is rated highly as an off-road vehicle, so I'm thinking that your tires were at fault. But still, I understand the frustration with getting stuck in the snow so easily.

Check to see which model truck you have. I know the PRO-4X V6 4x4 adds an electric rear locking differential. If you see a Lock button on your dash somewhere, that means you can lock your rear differential. Check it out and let me know if you have this button. Here are a few videos for you to explain how your 4X4 system works on your truck.

EmeraldHike

Check to see which model truck you have. I know the PRO-4X V6 4x4 adds an electric rear locking differential. If you see a Lock button on your dash somewhere, that means you can lock your rear differential. Check it out and let me know if you have this button. Here are a few videos for you to explain how your 4X4 system works on your truck.
I definitely don't have the lock button on my dashboard. Basically, I have both front and rear differentials, so there is no locking mechanism. I would really love to have at least the rear differential lock, so both tires spin together, even though those tires have less weight above them. Ideally, I'd like the fronts to lock. I think that would have helped me in the snow. And it would definitely help off road or in mud. I wonder if there's an upgrade I can purchase. The entire rear end probably needs to be replaced for that and a bunch of electrical would need to be installed. It's far too much work to be worth it, not to mention the cost.

CampFireJack

I definitely don't have the lock button on my dashboard. Basically, I have both front and rear differentials, so there is no locking mechanism. I would really love to have at least the rear differential lock, so both tires spin together, even though those tires have less weight above them. Ideally, I'd like the fronts to lock. I think that would have helped me in the snow. And it would definitely help off road or in mud. I wonder if there's an upgrade I can purchase. The entire rear end probably needs to be replaced for that and a bunch of electrical would need to be installed. It's far too much work to be worth it, not to mention the cost.
I believe you can buy and install aftermarket differential lockers. Basically, the diff lock will transfer the power of the engine to the rear wheel that has the most traction. So if you've got one rear tire in the air and the other on the ground, the tire on the ground will receive the power from the engine. I don't think these are too difficult to install either. Check out:

- USA Standard Gear Spartan Locker
- PowerTrax Lock-Right Nissan H233B Differential Automatic Locker
- Eaton Detroit Truetrac Differentials 913A582

If you know of others, please list them below.