The Rich Don't Work for Money

KristinaW

A Partnership is Formed

I take issue with the title of this post. I'm reading Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki and I'm up to Chapter 2, Section 1. I have a feeling Robert will explain what he means by the rich don't work for their money, but as it stands right now, I've heard this argument before and I don't like it. I had a friend once who claimed that CEOs sat around all day with their feet up on their desks. He actually thought they did no work at all. If that's true, I wondered, how did they make it to the positions they made it to? People don't just give things away. Even fathers who found businesses will fire their children if they don't produce. And boards of corporations would trash a CEO after the first quarter if nothing came of his tenure. Shareholders...the big ones - not the friendliest of people when you start messing with their money. I do have to tell you that my friend was one of those types of people who didn't respect the brain. If it wasn't done with muscle and backbreaking labor, it wasn't done at all. So I'm not sure there was any arguing with him.

Anyway, I just finished the section where Robert asks his father how to become rich. He explained that he wasn't invited to go on a trip with some friends because he was one of the "poor" kids at school. After he asked his father the question, his father answered with some sort of riddle that went nowhere. If I had asked that very same question to my father when I was nine years old, he'd have yelled, "Get a job!" He was a simple man. Not a rich man, but a simple one. He worked hard and made decent money, but I have to say, he knows nothing of wealth, just like Robert's father knew nothing of it either. I'm not sure if it's a lack of willingness to learn with these people or just a stubbornness about what wealth is and what it means. Perhaps it's so out in left field that fathers of yesteryear didn't spend any time thinking of such things. Wealth was for those other people.

Believe it or not, I actually planned on being rich when I got older. I used to fight with my parents for not being able to afford certain items when I was younger. They'd say things like, "You think money grows on trees?" To which I'd reply, "I'm not going to have these types of problems. I plan on being rich when I grow up." I kid you not. I said that. I really did. It never occurred to me that being rich and not being rich was more than a decision someone made. It actually required the desire, the brains, and the stamina. I really think that most people who aren't rich don't have the desire. Even if a friend of theirs laid out the perfect plan to follow and guaranteed success after a few years, I bet they'd still not go ahead with it. We're a nation of lazy people here in the U.S. We really are. Obviously, there are many wealthy individuals among us, but why is it that first generation immigrants to this country make up so much of the business force and wealth creation? And why is it that second generation immigrants don't match the success rates of their parents when it comes to wealth creation and entrepreneurship? Those kids can't hold a candle to their parents. They call it Americanization. They say the kids have become Americanized. It's not that the kids are lazy, per se, it's just that their standards are higher. Those who were born in this country don't want to own a dry cleaning company, an Italian restaurant, or a home remodeling company. These kids want to be computer programmers, academics, and doctors. That's fine, but it's just those very types of jobs that will lead you straight into the rat race. You really need to work in those jobs. Work, work, work. It takes a lot to make a paycheck and those paychecks aren't as big as you think they are.

Let me give you one quick example. I was reading about Chinatown in New York City last night. If you aren't aware, it's become quite gentrified over the past few decades. The last time I visited Canal Street in Chinatown, it was thriving with small business. The entire area was run by moms and pops. The people owned the businesses and the buildings the businesses were housed in. They were extremely shrewd. What do I mean, you ask? Well, let me tell you. Apparently, Chinatown is a hot spot in NYC. A run down and dilapidated building I used to frequent for chachkies recently sold for $24 million. Yes, you read that correctly. So I'd say the people who first bought the real estate and worked hard their entire lives made out like bandits. The same thing is going on all over the place in that area. The first generation Chinese immigrants are walking away from their businesses multi-millionaires. How are their children faring? Probably just fine. They're most likely hard working doctors and lawyers. They work for big firms, make decent money, but own nothing. Does the doctor own the building he or she works out of? Probably not. It's most likely some sort of cooperative or hospital and they get a paycheck that will help put their kids through college. They're not going to walk away millionaires. Not even close. As a matter of fact, at the rate things are going in this country, there's a good chance they'll still be holding their mortgage until the day they die. It's not good.

When Robert Kiyosaki was nine years old, he and his friend Mike tried to get rich. They started up a small business making counterfeit nickels. It ran just fine until they were informed by Robert's father that what they were doing was indeed illegal. While the two young boys were certainly disappointed, Robert's father suggested they talk about money with Mike's father. Robert's father admitted that as a school teacher, he knew nothing about wealth creation, but that Mike's father had businesses all over town. He'd be the one to discuss these types of things with. Armed with this knowledge, they set up an appointment for the next Saturday.

It's fine if your life goal isn't to make as much money as you can. And to be honest, I think there's something a little different about those super rich types up in their heads. We're all obviously wired differently and making tons of money isn't in some of our DNA. It just isn't. I do think that you should consider different avenues of making money and at least educate yourself about how to become wealthy. I'm always astounded by how important money is to every single one of us, yet very few of us ever take the time to actually learn about it.

If you'd like to learn about money, I suggest you to begin by picking up a book like Rich Dad Poor Dad and start reading. I'll continue this post down below very soon.

Corey Gemme

Actually the title of the post is The Rich Don't Work For Money. Not "The Rich Don’t Work For THEIR Money." Big difference in meaning. Meaning that money often isn't the goal for rich people, it's just the result of their passion and used as a measuring stick as opposed to "they don’t really do any actual work."

Anyway, that's how I interpreted it.

KristinaW

Actually the title of the post is The Rich Don't Work For Money. Not "The Rich Don’t Work For THEIR Money." Big difference in meaning. Meaning that money often isn't the goal for rich people, it's just the result of their passion and used as a measuring stick as opposed to "they don’t really do any actual work."

Anyway, that's how I interpreted it.
What a great point. I hadn't thought about the differentiation between the two sentences. Good eye for detail. I am actually planning on not working for money either. Some day.

KristinaW

The Lessons Begin:

I just finished reading a section in Chapter 2, Lesson 1 of Robert Kiyosaki's book titled, Rich Dad Poor Dad. Robert and his friend Mike asked Mike's father how to make money. They wanted to learn how to become rich. Mike's father agreed to see them and when he did, he made them an offer. He'd pay them $.10 per hour for them to work three hours each Sunday at his superette, otherwise known as a deli in some parts of the country. After some hesitation, both boys agreed to Mike's father's terms. It's a good thing they agreed too, because Mike's father's deal was of the take it or leave it sort. He told the boys that he could teach them, but not in classroom style. There'd be "on the job" learning. If they didn't agree to his terms right then and there, the deal was off the table. Even though it was Sunday and even though Robert had a softball game that afternoon, he agreed to work. He did note that the pay was ridiculously low though, but what do you expect to pay a kid who's got virtually no experience and who you're doing a favor for. It was they who came to him, after all.

Arguments Against a $15 Minimum Wage

This section of the chapter (especially the low pay part) got me thinking about the minimum wage debate we're currently experiencing in this country. Back when I was a kid, I was paid $3.35 an hour at my first job. I didn't know if that was good or bad, so I took it. I was one of many children in my town who was looking for a job and if I didn't agree to the pay, they'd find someone who did. It wasn't a difficult concept to grasp. I'm not sure if I ever got paid that low again. I can remember other jobs that paid me $4 and $4.50 and then I remember getting a job about eight years later that paid me $7 per hour and then $9 per hour after I was promoted to a leadership position. I was never paid that much money subsequently until I landed my very first "real" job as an adult. And even then, I started at $29,000 per year, which added up to about $14 per hour. I was happy with that. Again, I had no professional experience, so I was in no position to negotiate. What did I have? A college degree? Who cares. Everyone has one of those.

As a kid, all of the businesses I worked for were small businesses in my home town. None of these businesses had very much money. For my first job, I was a cashier. For the second, I peeled onions. For the third, I vacuumed a floor. Nothing I did was critical, but it was nice to have me around so the owners could focus on other aspects of their jobs. They needed to sell things and strategize how to stay afloat. The last thing they wanted to do was vacuum or run the register.

I know that making more money per hour is nice. We all know this. If someone offered me $15 per hour back then to peel onions, I would have taken it in a heartbeat. If they had though, they would have gone out of business. No business back then could have afforded that. I'm not even sure the managers or owners made that much money. Times have changed though. The value of the dollar has dropped due to inflation and perhaps it's a good time to discuss raising the minimum wage to $15. I guess it is a good time because that discussion is actually occurring. Is $15 a lot? Is it not enough? I'm not sure.

Before I begin, I've got a story for you. It's a quick one. When I was a teenager, I lived in a town that was chock full of residents who worked blue collar jobs and who were primarily entrepreneurs. They ranged from electricians to landscapers to carpenters. The folks in my town did it all and we as children learned a heck of a lot of skills from friends and neighbors. Because of all the entrepreneurial spirit and a strong need for laborers, my town was a magnet for illegal immigration. Many men from Latin America traveled to the town to look for work. Early on, they came from Mexico, but as the years passed, they were all primarily from Guatemala. The houses close to downtown were virtually all inhabited by these Guatemalans. Rumor had it that there would be anywhere from 15-20 of them per house. It was crazy, but the owners of all the blue collared businesses loved it. The owners would get very hard workers to perform all sorts of labor and they'd get to pay them cash at the end of the day. The going rate was $80-$100 per day, no matter how many hours they worked. And boy did they work. These guys worked a lot and at the end of the week, they actually had a lot of money, tax free. No one was the wiser. The government never knew. No one knew, except the workers and the owners of the businesses. Back then, I can remember driving by a few different groups of immigrants standing at each corner, waiting to be picked up. When a truck stopped to pick one or two up to go to a job, all of them would swarm the passenger side door trying to get in. Only the strong survived and made it inside the truck.

Now, I may have been young, but I wasn't stupid. I can vividly remember driving by with my father one time. I said, "Hey dad. Check it out. All of the workers are out again, waiting to be picked up to work." He didn't like the idea very much. He just nodded and kept on driving. He thought they were being taken advantage of by their "employers." I said to him, "What do you think these Guatemalans will be doing in ten years? I mean, aren't they basically being trained to do the jobs of their bosses?" My father paused at that question. Apparently, he had never given that sort of thing much thought.

I can remember hearing stories about how certain workers were eventually being sought after because they had gotten so good at what they were doing. And then I remember hearing stories about how some of the workers stopped working for their "employers." I also remember hearing stories about how the Guatemalans were beginning to compete with the blue collared workers who were once their bosses. And then about how they were getting the jobs their bosses used to get. And then about how their bosses were going out of business because of all the added competition. Apparently, I was right. It didn't take long for these "apprentices" to catch on to what they were doing, learn a little English, and then steal a whole heck of a lot of jobs. As you can imagine, the town didn't like this at all because so many of the immigrants were living in each house and none of them were paying anything in tax. Real businesses were going under and families were forced to leave town, which created a hole in the tax base for schools, roads, and other things, but that's a story for another time. My point here is, just because these laborers may have seemingly been taken advantage of at one point, they treated their experiences as learning opportunities. Back in their own countries, there were no opportunities like the ones they found in my home town. They took those opportunities and made the best of them. And then they made some good money.

I'm not all in on the minimum wage debate. I think raising the minimum wage will have negative consequences. I do think there should be a minimum wage, but I really do think it should be kept to a minimum. Many jobs here in the U.S. are great for learning. I don't think many of them are meant to be careers for people. I've never heard of a person taking a $7 per hour job and intending to work it for the rest of their life. Granted, it does happen, but life is long and if someone works a $7 per hour job for 55 years, it's not far fetched to say that they bear some responsibility for that. Opportunity abounds and upward mobility can be found around every corner. I've had many adults in many of my college classes. These people were training themselves for better jobs and ultimately, better lives. It is possible. No one is "stuck" for 55 years.

Let's get into a few of the reasons I'm against raising the minimum wage to $15 per hour.

1. It would force small businesses to fire people, which would raise unemployment levels. There is no disputing this. It's what I like to call a fact. I know that word is thrown around a lot, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to watch as a small business down the road from them fires two of their five employees because they can't afford the labor costs anymore. Labor costs are very real and for most businesses, it's their largest expense. Many businesses around this nation are mom and pop shops. Can you imagine owning one of these businesses and having your labor costs virtually double? What would you do? From what I hear, you can either close down completely or fire some of your workers to pick up the slack yourself. Many of the people gunning for these wage hikes have never owned a business. I dare you to find one business owner who would advocate for this type of thing. The reasoning for not wanting something like this isn't because the business owners are greedy and evil, it's because it doesn't make economic sense for their own store and the economy as a whole. And the trouble is, the wage hikes have already had very negative consequences. Many businesses have had to either fire some employees or close down completely.

2. It causes more poverty. I forgot to mention a few other negative consequences for raising the minimum wage above. There is actually another option for those business owners who are being forced to raise wages for their employees. They needn't fire them. They can always cut their hours. So someone who used to work all day can now work a meager two hours per day. So someone who used to be full time is now part time. Yes, they'll make more per hour, but they'll work less, which will ultimately reduce their paychecks and most likely, benefits. Also, because of the increased production costs as a whole, due to higher labor costs, products will cost more. The politicians didn't think businesses wouldn't pass on the expense, did they? Now, when the employee goes to the store to buy a new pair of pants or a gallon of milk, they'll spend more than they ever have. Their wallets will thin out rather quickly.

3. It would cause businesses to close. Some businesses simply can't operate with fewer people. They also can't bear the costs of a more expensive labor force. If a shoe factory employees 100 people at $10 per hour each and is forced to raise each employee's pay to $15 per hour, they may very well go under. This is another one of these pesky facts. Dollars and cents don't lie. Of course, the factory could always increase their product cost by the same rate, which will most likely force their buyers to look for sellers overseas. With cheap goods pouring in from China and India, I'm not sure whose idea it was to price the American market right out of competition. I'm also not sure whose idea it was to create ghost towns out of areas where factories used to be.

I've never liked the idea of having a high minimum wage, but that's just the business side of me talking. I invite you to prove my argument wrong. I actually welcome it. If you've got information that I'm missing, please share it down below. I'm on the fence with many of these types of issues, so I'm completely not against some form of enlightenment.

KristinaW

Waiting in Line on Saturday

We've got a real problem in this country. I'd called it being entitled. Do you know what entitled means? It means that someone believes they are inherently deserving of privileges and special treatment, merely for being them. Entitled people come in all shapes and sizes. Rich kids who inherit their parents' fortune somehow think they're better than everyone else, even though they did nothing to create the fortune. People of certain nations think they're inherently special, merely because their government borrows so much money, there's an illusion of wealth. Union workers think they're important to management, just because there's an organization behind them that will stand up for them during a dispute. For each of the examples I just gave, no one individual was deserving of how they felt. Like leaches or parasites, they derive their feeling of importance from others. They walk around with head held high, saying, "Look at me. Notice how important I am." Meanwhile, as individuals, they've done very little to contribute anything of consequence. They were replaceable. Expendable. Do you want to know who really is special? The parents who earned the fortune. The banks who created a system of national debt, and the individuals or very small group who thought of and followed through with creating something called the union. It was never the little guy. The worker bee. No matter how much he or she thinks it was.

In this section of Rich Dad Poor Dad, Robert met with Mike's father in regards to his meager pay. Mike's dad was only paying Robert $.10 per hour to work three hours each weekend. By the third weekend, Robert had had enough and was ready to quit. That's when Mike's father met with him. When they met, Robert explained how he was being exploited and how he'd quit if he wasn't being paid better. That there were child labor laws and that he deserved more. Robert called Mike's dad a cheapskate and a thief. He said he abused people. Robert blamed Mike's dad for all of these problems. He said that he was ready to walk if he wasn't treated better. That Mike's dad hadn't even taught him anything, as was promised.

"Oh, didn't I?" he asked. During this conversation, Mike's father explained that most lessons in life aren't learned by lecture or by reading. They're learned by life itself. He said that life "pushes us around" and that all types of people react to that pushing in different ways. Some people blame and fight with those who they perceive as the pushers and some slink away in shame. Some fight to change the system while others create a new system. The point of the entire conversation was that Robert had fallen for what most people fall for. He perceived abuse so he looked towards the closest person or thing he felt was abusing him and he argued with it in an effort to change it. The fact is, he should really have been trying to change himself. It's a mindset he fell into. A mentality. It's a negative cycle of playing the victim that leads to an unsatisfying life. Mike's father tried to teach Robert how easy it was to fall into this trap. Robert fought him on this lesson for a while, but ultimately agreed that by changing himself instead of the situation he was in, he could avoid similar types of situations that were sure to spring up for the rest of his life. Once a complainer about circumstances, always a complainer. Don't fall for it. Snap out of it. Be better than it. Sure, there are many organizations around the earth that would love to keep you an unsatisfied complainer, but that's how they derive their power. Ignore them and move on. Political groups and unions are two such organizations. I've never met a happy union worker or political constituent.

Would you care to learn who broke away from the mundane existence of normalcy to become extraordinary? Ask yourself, did any individuals in the list of people below quit one lousy job they felt didn't pay them enough to jump into another they'd eventually complain about? I don't think so. These people are winners who didn't try to change their bosses or ask for raises, they became the bosses and gave raises. These are the types of people Mike's father was referring to in this section.

Peter Thiel
Elon Musk
Bill Gates
Henry Ford
Walt Disney
Richard Branson
Steve Jobs
Larry Page
John D. Rockefeller
J.P. Morgan
Andrew Carnegie
Cornelius Vanderbilt

This is obviously a very short list of extraordinary people. These and those like them are the ones who shaped the world we live in. These are the people who created the systems that benefit us so much. Some will look at the names in this list and say, "These are selfish and greedy men." The folks who say something like that have fallen for the negative mentality. They're the victims. Whether it's been taught or inherited, who knows. Depending on how old they are, there may be no return from that way of thinking. If they're young enough though, they can still be educated to say something quite the opposite. Something like, "Wow. How do I become great like these people?"

I'm looking forward to the next section of this wonderful book. I like the way Mike's father thinks and how Robert writes. It's an entertaining spin on an otherwise boring topic.

KristinaW

"The poor and the middle class work for money." "The rich have money work for them."

I will tell you that it's uncanny how this book makes me feel so many years after I read it the first time. Back then, I was younger and I read it because I wanted to learn its lessons. Today, I'm older and as I go through line by line, I find how true rich dad's words truly are. It's so crazy how so many people absolutely refuse to learn anything other than what they already know about money, which isn't much. I've got family and friends who plod along every day working for the man. Doing their best to make ends meet. Just bouncing from job to job to job, pretending that that's what life is about. I get so frustrated when I think of people like this because I know they'd all like to work less and earn more. Frustrated indeed. But they'll never change because that's just the way they are. It takes a special type of person to break free. Some try, but they almost always fail. People really are destined to complain for the rest of their lives. I've heard it so many times. They wish they can change, but for some reason, they can't seem to get there.

Just this morning, I was talking about a guy I know who recently told me that he didn't have enough money to invest. I said, "Yeah, but all you need to do is put a set amount into your account weekly or monthly. Put it on your calendar or set it up so it gets done automatically." He replied, "I would, but I just don't have the money right now." His response made me want to scream. For the life of me, I can't understand why he refuses to comprehend how investing works. I suggested a high dividend ETF for him to purchase and to keep on purchasing. For every dollar he puts in, he receives a quarterly dividend. If he began investing a decade ago, he'd probably be making more money from dividends right now than he would be making pay from his job. But no, he just can't see it. Yet, he's more than happy to go on vacation and pay for random junk he doesn't need on a daily basis.

Anyway, in this section, Robert continued talking with Mike's father, also known as Rich Dad. Mike's father explained that making real money takes energy, passion, and a real desire. And that if Robert had been happy with the $.10 he was getting paid, he'd be a lost cause. He explained that for most people, fear guides their financial decisions. I don't know about you, but I can't remember the last time I saw someone who was scared of losing money, make a lot of it. For most people though, the fear of getting fired or losing money in the market or in a business venture all but paralyzes them. Part of this is because they've overspent so much that they've left themselves little wiggle room for when they might need it. If the bills are piling up and if terrible and catastrophic things will happen if they're not paid, then I'd say there's a problem. Being in that type of a situation is terrible for learning about financial freedom.

Another conversation I had recently was about a man from my home town who won millions in the lottery about 20 years ago. I remember the story well. He won so much money that he went on multiple shopping sprees, bought a new house, new cars, and pretty much anything else he could get his hands on. Guess what happened. About ten years later, he had to file for bankruptcy. It's maddening to think about something like that happening and to be honest, I'm not even sure how it can. You have to be a real genius to be forced into bankruptcy after winning the lottery, but believe it or not, it occurs often. It. seems that the more money certain people make, the more they go broke. I've seen this sort of thing out there too.

I'll tell you one thing; it's pretty easy to get a job and work for money. You see almost everyone do it on a daily basis. The mantra is, graduate high school, go to college, get your education, get married, buy a house, buy a car, have kids, send them to college, rinse and repeat. And all the while, train those kids to do the exact same thing you're doing. And also all the while, complain the entire time about job security, how the job is terrible, and about the lack of funds you have. I don't even need to write this sort of thing here because it's such a popular lifestyle. I dare you to tell me everyone you know isn't doing this. You can't because they are. We all know this.

Let me give you a taste of what a sliver of financial education feels like. Did you know that right now, you could buy an ETF that will pay you 4% per year in dividends? It's a very stable and risk averse ETF that's full of blue chip stocks. I know what you're thinking. "Okay, that's fine, but what's that going to do for me?" I'll tell you what it's going to do. When it pays you the dividends, you'll have more money in your pocket that you didn't have to work for. Also, that money from dividends is considered what the IRS refers to as unearned income, meaning, you don't need to pay payroll tax on it. You know the 15% tax that comprises social security, medicare, and FICA. Also, did you know that if you hold on to this ETF for more than 60 days, all of the dividends are considered qualified, meaning, until you make $40,000 per year, you don't pay any tax on them at all. So here's the situation: you work for a good number of years, all the while building up the number of ETF shares you own. A day comes where you make $40,000 in dividends per year. You quit your job and live off of those dividends. At the end of each year, you file your taxes and your tax bill is $0. You don't pay one dime in taxes. Not even payroll tax. Crazy? Surprising? Yes. I learned this after about ten minutes of reading a few years ago. People, this stuff isn't rocket science. You just need to have a bit of financial curiosity. Will you take action on what I just informed you of? I bet not. No one does and I've told multiple people the same thing. This is why I get so frustrated. People want money and after I tell them how to get it, they give me blank stares.

I have to tell you that probably the best way to learn about money is to start your own small business. That'll get you out of the rat race and into the field of business and financial education. The moment you do this, you'll also change as a human being. You'll begin to realize how badly others are running their lives and you'll understand what it took for your bosses and other entrepreneurs to get things going. Other things you should dive right into learning are taxes and investing. These two things can save and make you enormous quantities of money down the road. Owning a business will hopefully put the brakes on your spending too. You'll have a renewed appreciation and respect for money and paying taxes. You'll learn that your taxes are actually your biggest bill every week, month, and year. You'll come to loath them and you'll watch as they're wasted by our local, state, and federal politicians. Until you write a check for payroll and estimated taxes that come right out of your bank account every month, you won't appreciate any of this at all.

What's the worst part of everything that I've just shared above? It's the fact that not one iota of it is taught in grade school or college. Not one iota of it. Wait, actually, that's not true. I had an accounting professor in college once who said, for about a minute and a half, that we should all open small businesses out of our houses because there are tax benefits for doing so. He seemed to be eager to teach us about that, but because no one gave any sort of a hint of interest, we continued on with our curriculum lesson. Honestly, when taxes are pulled out of a paycheck, you don't feel the loss. It's only when you have to actually write a check for them that the concept hits you right in the heart.

Okay, back to the story. Towards the end of the section, Mike's father asked Robert if he wanted to continue working and learning. Robert said yes and then Mike's father said, "Good, but I'm not going to pay you anymore." Of course, Robert was appalled by this and complained about how horrible it would be to do the same work, but now for not even the measly $.10 per hour. Mike's father was steadfast though and claimed that he would teach Robert how to not work for money. He said that Mike was already working, so Robert better get going. He said that if Robert got used to the paltry pay, he'd be looking for that sort of thing for the rest of his life and that was exactly what he should try to avoid. Mike's father explained that money, and especially more money, was never the answer. That it was a frame of mind or a mindset. The lesson of the section was that if you'd like to make real money in your life, you'll need to learn about it and use your head. I wholeheartedly agree.

KristinaW

Lesson #1: The Rich Don't Work for Money

This section was a short one. It basically described how Robert and Mike continued working for three more weeks without pay. At the end of the third week, Mike's father arrived and brought both boys across the street into the baseball field. There, he asked if they had learned anything yet. Neither of them replied in the affirmative. And that was pretty much it.

As I read this book, I keep trying to think back to what it was about. I suspect I recall the big picture, but I forget the details. It's been decades after all. Having Robert and Mike work for free to learn a lesson does bring something to mind though. I'd like to mention that here briefly.

Do you find it odd that parents will spend inordinate amounts of money to send their kids to college and during or after the child's graduation, that child (or young adult) will hope to land an unpaid internship to gain experience, but once the time comes to get a paying job, all anyone cares about is how much money will be made? It's rather remarkable how the tracks are shifted so quickly, as if the child has learned as much as there is to know and from that point on, they're worth every penny that they'll ever get paid.

In many blue collar fields, younger and newer workers get paid peanuts. For instance, when it comes to being an electrician, an employee must begin as an Apprentice and work in that position for years. Usually around six years. They get paid less than a Journeyman would and certainly less than a Master would. The goal of an Apprentice is to learn. To gain the necessary knowledge to become a Journeyman. They know the pay is lower, but they continue on in hopes of brighter years ahead. And on top of the lower pay, they get stuck with doing the grunt work that no one else wants to do, such as digging ditches and working in frigid temperatures.

Back in the old days, this is the way things would work. Life was an experience builder, where workers would learn under others to one day become one of those "others." It was all about continuous learning and the more learning a person could get under their belt, the better.

Knowing this, I oftentimes ask myself why so many people these days is so hell-bent on getting paid. Yes, they need money, but what they need more is knowledge. And if knowledge is so important and so linked to future success, why aren't more people willing to put the time in to get it? If money were the only object, I suppose that getting the cashier's job at the local Dollar Tree or Walmart would be fine. Don't expect anyone to listen when these people start complaining about the lack of pay a few years down the road though. When that happens, someone is bound to ask, "Well, how much time did you put in?" When the answer is, "None," everyone is going to walk away from the complainer. And as they walk away, they'll likely say something such as, "Get a life. Stop complaining. Go learn something new that can make you more valuable to someone else."

I don't know. This and the preceding sections of this chapter made me think about how people are so willing to fork over a fortune to learn something at college, yet are so adamant about their level of pay after graduation. Especially since everyone knows that recent college grads are pretty useless. Right after I graduated from college, I didn't even know how to handle my first real business call. I was pathetic.

KristinaW

Avoiding One of Life's Biggest Traps

Fear and greed. The beginning of this section covers Mike's father offering the two boys $.25, $1, $2, and finally $5 per hour to do the same work they had initially done for $.10 and then nothing per hour. Weeks earlier, Robert had complained to Mike's father (rich dad) about how little he was getting paid. After that, he agreed to work for no money at all. And now, he was being offered $5 an hour to do the same thing, yet both Robert and Mike turned the offer down. Mike's father was testing the two young boys and they passed because neither of them accepted the money.

Mike's father claimed that their denial was a good start. That they had turned their focus from making an hourly wage to learning about how money works. About how they could free themselves from the trap so many others had fallen into. Mike's father said that fear was the primary motivator for people to wake up every morning and trudge off to a job they hated. Fear of being penniless. And then once these workers began making a bit of coin, they became greedy and wanted more. More money to go out and buy all the stuff they lust after. Mike's father described the cycle of making money to buy stuff to making more money to buy more stuff as the rat race. He said that so many people are trapped in the rat race and they hardly any of them knew how to get out.

The next part of this section I found very interesting. Mike's father said that fear of not having money is what keeps people going to the jobs they hate. That fear paralyzes them and makes them do things they wouldn't ordinarily do. And what's worse is that many people lie to themselves about it. They say things like, "Well, I have to do it for my kids." Or, "Well, this is the way life is. There's nothing I can do about it." Or, "My parents made good lives going to work for someone else like I am." They never acknowledge their fear of going broke, so their emotions keep them running on autopilot.

Have you ever met anyone who felt like they didn't have enough money, yet they refused to change how they behave? They kept doing the same thing that put them in their position and if someone gave or lent them some cash, they'd treat it like a fix. As if someone just gave some drugs to a drug addict. These people are all over the place. They absolutely refuse to think about anything other than making that next buck and because of that, they never see the paradigm they're stuck in. And because they can't see, they don't change. Yet, if they learned a bit about how money and taxes work, they actually make more money. It's frustrating to see.

Neurotic. That's now Mike's father described those who have amassed giant fortunes born out of fear, only to fear losing their fortunes more than they ever feared losing their money when they were poor. He said that more money doesn't necessarily calm or sooth one's soul. More money can actually make their fear worse than ever.

So basically, he's saying that the fear of being poor is the primary motivator of a person getting off their duff to go out and make some money and that greed or desire is what keeps people coming back for more. It's these two emotions that essentially turn a free human being into a slave of money. They find that they can't live without it because it's those two things that control them. Obviously, people need money to survive, but if emotions control the earning of that money, the chasing of the money will always control the person. Mike's father simply wants the boys to learn how to control their emotions and not let their emotions control them. Because, as you may have noticed, people make horrible decisions when they're based on emotion.

Mike's father continued on talking about how desire is just as bad as fear. That it's what keeps people motivated to make more money - so they can buy more things. Whether they be nice houses, fast cars, or beautiful furniture. Money can easily control when those people do a lot of shopping in their minds. If they continue to think about all the wonderful things money can buy, they'll likely do whatever is necessary to earn their money, even if that means a slow degradation of values and pride. You may have seen this type of thing out there. An employee begins a job and is perfectly content being a simple worker. One day, they're offered a raise and a promotion. They gladly accept both, but come to realize that their new position requires them to fire some of their once colleagues. They don't like doing that, but they do it because they've already purchased a new bedroom set and plan to send their child to a better college than they anticipated. Time goes on and they accept another raise and promotion, but this time, it involves closing an entire division, costing thousands of jobs. They go along with it. The cycle continues because of where they put themselves with their spending. There really comes a point where the company would be able to make that employee do whatever they asked. This is the power than the fear of being broke has. It's also the power that desire has. If there's no control over these things, people will do pretty much anything.

Now, this isn't to say that fear and greed/desire shouldn't exist; they absolutely should and must. We can't get rid of those two things. A person should realize what those two things are though and realize when they're getting out of control. When a person thinks with their mind as opposed to their heart, they can make better decisions. They can ask themselves if there's a better way to live than they're currently living. If there's a better way to make money. To sleep at night. To pay their bills. To take back control of their finances and emotions.

KristinaW

Seeing What Others Miss

I think once a person begins to see opportunity, he or she never really stops. It's just part of the entrepreneurial spirit. This used to be the way it was before the internet arrived, but since, it's spread like wildfire. People who would never have become business owners are now just that. They look at money completely differently than they ever have and they see ways to monetize almost anything. Writing a story (or a post like this) can eventually be turned into a profit making machine. Taking pictures, videos, playing video games - doing almost anything. We were all destined to be employees at one time, but ever since the concept of being an "internet professional" rolled around, small business has been humming along and a fast pace.

This is the last section of this part of the book. Mike and Robert continued to work at Mike's father's store for nothing. Mike's father told the boys that once they stop thinking of only working for money, their focus would change. That they'd see opportunities like that never had before. And sure enough, a few weeks after that conversation, Robert saw an opportunity.

One day, Robert noticed that the woman behind the counter of Mike's father's store was cutting the covers off the comic books that didn't sell the previous week. She was removing the covers to give them back to the comic book dealer for credit. When Robert asked the dealer if he could have the coverless books, the dealer agreed, but only if Robert promised not to sell them. Robert promised and a venture began.

For weeks afterward, Robert and Mike collected hundreds of comic books from the store. Once in hand, they kept them in a room at Mike's house and charged kids around the neighborhood a small fee to come in and read them. Since they weren't selling any of the books, they were abiding by Robert's promise. And since the service was becoming popular, Robert and Mike were making money. They were averaging around $9.50 per week, which was big bucks back then. Robert was happy with this because they were using Mike's sister as an employee and neither he nor Mike had to be there all the time. They were essentially making money for no work.

Eventually, a fight broke out in the comic book room between some kids from another neighborhood and some local kids, so Mike's father suggested the two boys shut down their business, to which they agreed. I guess things were getting too hot. Mike's father had new lessons to teach anyway, so Robert and Mike were allowed to stop working at the store as well. On to bigger and better things.