My Opinion on Trump & Biden

Cameron

I have a love/hate relationship with politics. Sometimes I don't want to talk about it at all while other times I love nothing more than to talk about it. One thing's for sure, the United States of America is as divided as it's ever been. Certain elements of both political parties are at fault for this. I don't think the old guard of both parties is at fault at all; it seems to be newer elements that have come in to ruffle feathers.

I don't want to get off track here too much because I'd like to stay on the topic of Trump versus Biden. Men who have a lot of good and bad qualities about them.

The reason I decided to write this post has to do with the fact that I'm currently reading the book titled How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie. I've actually read this book quite a few times in my life and each time, I come to realize how much I've done wrong through the years. Regarding how I interact with others, that is. The book is chock full of great advice and suggestions for greasing the wheels of any relationship you may find yourself in, whether it be with a parent, child, student, teacher, coworker - you get the idea. Humans are psychological creatures and there are certain psychological truths that can have huge impacts on how relationships are carried out. Which brings me to my first point...

In the beginning, I loved Donald Trump. He was a fighter and he was really sticking it to the establishment. Shortly after he became President, I still loved him because he was going to steamroll all of those crooked politicians who have stayed in office for far too long. It only took a short period of time after that to realize and comprehend the limitations of power the President actually had. While he had some control over foreign policy and finances, he didn't have complete control. As a nation and as those who supported him, we began to realize why politicians are the way they are. First and foremost, for a politician to be effective, they've got to figure out a way to get along with others, no matter how much they dislike a certain group or individual. They need to schmooze and rub elbows. If someone, perhaps a President for example, wants to get anything done, he or she will need to reach across the aisle to shake hands with the opposition. I get that we're all fighters and all that, but at the end of the day, even the biggest fighters in our ranks want to see action. If a term is limited to fight, fight, fight, while not much else gets done, the party will fall apart. Again, we want to see results.

With this in mind, I have absolutely no idea why Donald Trump can't simply fake it and smile at the Democrats, no matter how much he loathes them. Pretend to make nice. Act like a diplomat. Do something other than sit there with a scowl on his face. I know, it's much easier said than done, but still It's got to be done because Republicans are going to be turned off by the fighting.

I do like the fight Trump has though. I admire the guts. For four years, he's been up against everything they could throw at him and he, for the most part, keeps his composure.

I like Biden too. I never had a bad thing to say about Joe Biden. He seems like a genuinely nice guy. Sure, he's getting older and some of his speech isn't the greatest anymore, but he's still nice. I just worry about two things when it comes to Biden; one, his mental health. He's simply too old to be president and his brain is failing. It's a fact. And two, he's nowhere near as strong as he used to be and he's going to be steamrolled by those in his party who want to get certain things done. Where Trump has the get up and go, the guts, and the brawn, I honestly don't think Biden will even be included in the conversation. A decade or two ago, I think he would have been fine, but there's no way he could take the pressure nowadays. And it's not even his ideas I'm concerned about because he's always seemed like he's a middle of the road kind of guy. I'm more concerned that he won't be able to say no to the most extreme segments of the Democrat party. Which scares me. There are extreme segments of the Republican party too, but I believe Donald Trump has no problem standing up to them.

So, I guess I like both men. I do and I don't. I like the power of Donald Trump, but I don't like the fact that he can't let go of fighting all the time. He'd be able to win over so many more people to his cause if he just moderated a bit. I like Joe Biden too. I just worry about his mental capacity and his strength. He's almost 80 years old and that's just too old to be President.

What are your thoughts on these two? You probably lean more one way or another than I do, so I'd like to hear your opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:

EmeraldHike

I have been a Democrat all of my life, but I don't think I can get behind Biden. My party has changed so much in the past few years that I can't recognize it anymore. I can remember when I was a kid, sitting there talking to the biggest Democrat I ever knew, my grandmother, about worker's rights, being anti-war, the environment, and so much more that the Democrats used to stand for. Today, it's racism. Exclusively. That's all there is to them. Racism. There is nothing else in the world. Yes, there may be racism, but there's a lot else too. Whatever happened to supporting the unions? Fair wages? Not $15 an hour for kids to make at McDonalds in Portland, Oregon, but real adults who have real families who work real jobs? Whatever happened to that discussion?

And what about animal rights? And the environment? We have Democrat politicians flying all over the world on private jets lecturing us on global warming. It's just getting to be too much for me. Nothing makes sense anymore. If there's one thing I've noticed in the past four years, it's that the Democrats are very shady. I was never a Trump fan, but they have been shady with the shams they've tried to pull on him. I almost feel bad for him. Between the impeachment and the Russia investigation. I agreed with neither of those things. I guess you can consider me one of the old Blue Dog Democrats. It's terrible how far we've strayed from them. My grandmother would be appalled.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'm going to vote this November. I hate having to say that.