The Answer to the Rat Race

• Thread starter LukeLewis
  • Start date
LukeLewis

LukeLewis

I have a challenge for you. If you've got a child in elementary or high school, have them go to school tomorrow and have them ask as many of their teachers as possible how to become wealthy. See what they come back to you to tell you. If you've got a kid in college, have them ask their professors the same thing. Heck, the next time you go to work, ask your boss and your colleagues. Ask every friend you come across. See what everyone has to say. I'll bet you $10 that you won't get one piece of realistic advice that will lead your child or you toward any type of real wealth. That's striking, to say the least. Do you know what this tells you? For all the emphasis we put on money in this world, hardly anyone knows how to make any of it other than trudging off to work every day to earn theirs through a job they most likely hate. That's pathetic, in my view. So while we see millionaires sailing around on boats and flying around on private jets, we get to sit here seething with jealousy and envy. That's no way to live.

I bet hardly anyone you ask this question to even knows what tax bracket they're in. Or what an LLC is. Or what a write-off is. Or why you'd want to start a business from home even if you've got a regular full time job. Yes, you'll get answers that come close, but nothing real. People in the rat race don't know anything about business. Now, go off and ask the shop owner on Main Street these questions and you'll find very different answers. Very different indeed.

So what's the answer? To seek out and obtain financial intelligence. Did you know that most people work from January to mid-May every single year to just pay their income and employment taxes? Did you know that taxes are the greatest expense for most people working today? Do you think it would be wise to figure out a way to lessen the tax burden on the individual? If you think you have an accountant to take care of this for you, ask yourself, why isn't he or she rich? Why isn't your lawyer already retired? Why does your doctor work such long shifts? These are all great questions and these are the things Robert discusses in his Rich Dad Poor Dad book.

I'm glad I read this book in the past and I'm very happy to be reading it again. It's good to re-motivate myself in this regard. While I'm already familiar with many of the principles Robert discusses and while I've already put many of them in action, there's always room for improvement. It's true when he says that 95% of people in the world play by one set of rules and the remainder plays by another. The trick is to learn the other set of rules. I mean, they're sitting right in front of us. We can learn them at any time.

Follow the threads and posts in this forum to stay on top of what I write next. I'll be discussing the entire book.

This post is part of a series: Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki

Last edited:
The Answer to the Rat Race was posted on 06-05-2021 by LukeLewis in the Finance Forum forum.