Waiting in Line on Saturday

• Thread starter LukeLewis
  • Start date
LukeLewis

LukeLewis

We've got a real problem in this country. I'd called it being entitled. Do you know what entitled means? It means that someone believes they are inherently deserving of privileges and special treatment, merely for being them. Entitled people come in all shapes and sizes. Rich kids who inherit their parents' fortune somehow think they're better than everyone else, even though they did nothing to create the fortune. People of certain nations think they're inherently special, merely because their government borrows so much money, there's an illusion of wealth. Union workers think they're important to management, just because there's an organization behind them that will stand up for them during a dispute. For each of the examples I just gave, no one individual was deserving of how they felt. Like leaches or parasites, they derive their feeling of importance from others. They walk around with head held high, saying, "Look at me. Notice how important I am." Meanwhile, as individuals, they've done very little to contribute anything of consequence. They were replaceable. Expendable. Do you want to know who really is special? The parents who earned the fortune. The banks who created a system of national debt, and the individuals or very small group who thought of and followed through with creating something called the union. It was never the little guy. The worker bee. No matter how much he or she thinks it was.

In this section of Rich Dad Poor Dad, Robert met with Mike's father in regards to his meager pay. Mike's dad was only paying Robert $.10 per hour to work three hours each weekend. By the third weekend, Robert had had enough and was ready to quit. That's when Mike's father met with him. When they met, Robert explained how he was being exploited and how he'd quit if he wasn't being paid better. That there were child labor laws and that he deserved more. Robert called Mike's dad a cheapskate and a thief. He said he abused people. Robert blamed Mike's dad for all of these problems. He said that he was ready to walk if he wasn't treated better. That Mike's dad hadn't even taught him anything, as was promised.

"Oh, didn't I?" he asked. During this conversation, Mike's father explained that most lessons in life aren't learned by lecture or by reading. They're learned by life itself. He said that life "pushes us around" and that all types of people react to that pushing in different ways. Some people blame and fight with those who they perceive as the pushers and some slink away in shame. Some fight to change the system while others create a new system. The point of the entire conversation was that Robert had fallen for what most people fall for. He perceived abuse so he looked towards the closest person or thing he felt was abusing him and he argued with it in an effort to change it. The fact is, he should really have been trying to change himself. It's a mindset he fell into. A mentality. It's a negative cycle of playing the victim that leads to an unsatisfying life. Mike's father tried to teach Robert how easy it was to fall into this trap. Robert fought him on this lesson for a while, but ultimately agreed that by changing himself instead of the situation he was in, he could avoid similar types of situations that were sure to spring up for the rest of his life. Once a complainer about circumstances, always a complainer. Don't fall for it. Snap out of it. Be better than it. Sure, there are many organizations around the earth that would love to keep you an unsatisfied complainer, but that's how they derive their power. Ignore them and move on. Political groups and unions are two such organizations. I've never met a happy union worker or political constituent.

Would you care to learn who broke away from the mundane existence of normalcy to become extraordinary? Ask yourself, did any individuals in the list of people below quit one lousy job they felt didn't pay them enough to jump into another they'd eventually complain about? I don't think so. These people are winners who didn't try to change their bosses or ask for raises, they became the bosses and gave raises. These are the types of people Mike's father was referring to in this section.

Peter Thiel
Elon Musk
Bill Gates
Henry Ford
Walt Disney
Richard Branson
Steve Jobs
Larry Page
John D. Rockefeller
J.P. Morgan
Andrew Carnegie
Cornelius Vanderbilt

This is obviously a very short list of extraordinary people. These and those like them are the ones who shaped the world we live in. These are the people who created the systems that benefit us so much. Some will look at the names in this list and say, "These are selfish and greedy men." The folks who say something like that have fallen for the negative mentality. They're the victims. Whether it's been taught or inherited, who knows. Depending on how old they are, there may be no return from that way of thinking. If they're young enough though, they can still be educated to say something quite the opposite. Something like, "Wow. How do I become great like these people?"

I'm looking forward to the next section of this wonderful book. I like the way Mike's father thinks and how Robert writes. It's an entertaining spin on an otherwise boring topic.

This post is part of a series: Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki

Last edited:
Waiting in Line on Saturday was posted on 06-05-2021 by LukeLewis in the Finance Forum forum.

Search

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathyruby20