Lesson #1: The Rich Don't Work for Money

• Thread starter LukeLewis
  • Start date
LukeLewis

LukeLewis

This section was a short one. It basically described how Robert and Mike continued working for three more weeks without pay. At the end of the third week, Mike's father arrived and brought both boys across the street into the baseball field. There, he asked if they had learned anything yet. Neither of them replied in the affirmative. And that was pretty much it.

As I read this book, I keep trying to think back to what it was about. I suspect I recall the big picture, but I forget the details. It's been decades after all. Having Robert and Mike work for free to learn a lesson does bring something to mind though. I'd like to mention that here briefly.

Do you find it odd that parents will spend inordinate amounts of money to send their kids to college and during or after the child's graduation, that child (or young adult) will hope to land an unpaid internship to gain experience, but once the time comes to get a paying job, all anyone cares about is how much money will be made? It's rather remarkable how the tracks are shifted so quickly, as if the child has learned as much as there is to know and from that point on, they're worth every penny that they'll ever get paid.

In many blue collar fields, younger and newer workers get paid peanuts. For instance, when it comes to being an electrician, an employee must begin as an Apprentice and work in that position for years. Usually around six years. They get paid less than a Journeyman would and certainly less than a Master would. The goal of an Apprentice is to learn. To gain the necessary knowledge to become a Journeyman. They know the pay is lower, but they continue on in hopes of brighter years ahead. And on top of the lower pay, they get stuck with doing the grunt work that no one else wants to do, such as digging ditches and working in frigid temperatures.

Back in the old days, this is the way things would work. Life was an experience builder, where workers would learn under others to one day become one of those "others." It was all about continuous learning and the more learning a person could get under their belt, the better.

Knowing this, I oftentimes ask myself why so many people these days is so hell-bent on getting paid. Yes, they need money, but what they need more is knowledge. And if knowledge is so important and so linked to future success, why aren't more people willing to put the time in to get it? If money were the only object, I suppose that getting the cashier's job at the local Dollar Tree or Walmart would be fine. Don't expect anyone to listen when these people start complaining about the lack of pay a few years down the road though. When that happens, someone is bound to ask, "Well, how much time did you put in?" When the answer is, "None," everyone is going to walk away from the complainer. And as they walk away, they'll likely say something such as, "Get a life. Stop complaining. Go learn something new that can make you more valuable to someone else."

I don't know. This and the preceding sections of this chapter made me think about how people are so willing to fork over a fortune to learn something at college, yet are so adamant about their level of pay after graduation. Especially since everyone knows that recent college grads are pretty useless. Right after I graduated from college, I didn't even know how to handle my first real business call. I was pathetic.

This post is part of a series: Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki

Last edited:
Lesson #1: The Rich Don't Work for Money was posted on 06-05-2021 by LukeLewis in the Finance Forum forum.