ABS Light on 2009 BMW 328XI - How Do I Fix?

KodyWallice

Reaction score
I was driving down the road this afternoon, going about 30MPH, when all of the sudden, a bunch of dash lights came on. The most pronounced error light is the ABS 4X4 and the others are BRAKE, ABS, Service Engine Soon, and a triangle with an exclamation mark inside it, with a circular arrow around it. I'll show you a picture of the dash lights below. The car seems to drive fine. Does anyone know what these lights mean? What's wrong with my car? Do I need to look into something?

2009-bmw-328xi-abs-dash-lights.jpg

LukeLewis

Reaction score
I see that you have the "lack of power" speed triangle (triangle warning light) illuminated on your dash. This generally means that one of your car's ABS sensors has gone bad. Either that, or your car's drive shaft ring (the areas where your ABS sensors pick up from) has got gunk in it or has rusted or has become corroded. If you feel that the car has lost some power and you're out driving around, you can push the DTC button above your hazard light button to turn off the traction control. This should restore the power so you can get where you're going. Remember, you don't just press the button and let go. You will need to press and hold the button for a few seconds.

The issue here is that there are four ABS wheel sensors; one for each wheel. To find which one has gone bad (if that's the issue), you'll need a code reader. Some code readers will need a "live view" option to tell you which one isn't like the others. So a good code reader is necessary.

CraigHardy

Reaction score
Those ABS lights can mean a few different things. It can be the computer giving you problems, a bad ABS pump, or the wheel sensors. The first two are expensive to fix, while the third isn't really, if you do the job yourself. You can buy speed sensors on RockAuto.com. They range in price from $10-$100, with the average price being around $30.

In regards to how you should spend your money; you can buy a code reader for around $100 on Amazon to find out what's going on. If it is an individual wheel sensor that's gone bad, you will need to spend another $30. That's $130 in total, plus tax. Another option would be to purchase four speed sensors for $120 and just replace them all, but that would be a gamble. You'd save money on the code reader though. If you could go to the auto parts store to get a free code reading, that would be best. That was you'd save the money for one of those devices.

Phoenix1

Reaction score
Just a word of warning - when you plug the BMW code reader in to your car and there actually is a bad ABS wheel sensor, you're going to see a slew of codes come up. They'll range from D355, D356, D357, and more. You'll probably see that more than one of the wheel speed sensors have failed and then the car isn't receiving transmissions from them. So many errors will lead you to believe that the computer is bad. Or at the very least, that it's got problems. The trick is to keep the code reader plugged into the car and then take the car for a drive. When you do this, you should be able to see live data coming in from each individual wheel speed sensor. While driving, you might see that all of the sensors are fine. Look closely though because some code readers tell you not only the speed of the wheel, but the direction it's turning as well. It's this second area of concern you should focus on. Look for the sensor that's not like the others and you'll find which one has gone bad. If you see that the direction the wheel is not turning isn't available for one sensor, then that's the culprit.

ABS Light on 2009 BMW 328XI - How Do I Fix? was posted on 06-28-2021 by KodyWallice in the Motor Forum forum.