Danios Eating Platy Fry!

JodyBuchanan

Reaction score
I have Danios (Pearl, I think) mixed in with some Platys in a 55-gaoon tank. The Platys had fry recently and I swear there used to be more in the tank than there are now. I don't see the Platys paying any attention to the babies, but the Danios are looking suspicious. They're like little sharks swimming around. Could it be that the Danios are eating the Platy fry? I don't really see the Danios paying too much attention to the fry during the day, but in the morning when they're hungry, I think they'll eat anything. Also, I would like to get some Zebra Danios in the future. Do they eat fry?

KristinaW

Reaction score
Fry are usually pretty good at hiding if you have enough area to hide in (moss and live plants), but if they become bold enough as they get older and go out for a free swim, yes, the Danios will most definitely gobble them up. I own some Giant Danios in my tank and if they're anything to go by, man, those fry don't stand a chance. If you want to keep them, you really need to separate them from any adult fish. I wouldn't trust any of them, but Danios can be especially aggressive. If you have heavy breeders though, perhaps it wouldn't be such a bad thing getting rid of some of those little guys. All those babies can quickly take over.

If you wanted to, you could add a divider in your tank to keep the Danios at bay, just until the fry grow larger - large enough to hold their own. It would probably be best to keep separate tanks though. I sometimes use a ten gallon for my baby fish as a growout tank. I even separate the fry from the parents.

15Katey

Reaction score
It seems like the size of the Danio stomach is never ending. If it'll fit in their mouths, they'll eat it. Fry stand no chance again them. I was watching a video the other night of Danios spawning and then eating the eggs as fast as they were being released. It was crazy; like a feeding frenzy.

Danios Eating Platy Fry! was posted on 07-07-2021 by JodyBuchanan in the Home Forum forum.