How to Replace an ABS Wheel Speed Sensor: 2009 BMW 328XI

• Thread starter KodyWallice
  • Start date
KodyWallice

KodyWallice

After watching a video on YouTube yesterday, I decided to pull the two front tires off of my car. The guy in the video said that sometimes the ABS wheel speed sensors can get dirty and that alone would stop them from working. I wanted to see how dirty mine were, clean them, replace them, and then see if anything changed. So that's what I did. If they were just dirty, I'd save a few bucks by not having to buy a new one. To make a long story short, although the two front sensors were dirty, I replaced them and nothing happened. The lights on my dash didn't turn off. Oh well, it was worth a try. I wanted to post a few photos here though that would show the process or removing one of these sensors. It's a very easy job. By the way, if you want to read about the rest of this saga, you can check out these threads:

https://indyfor.com/threads/489/

https://indyfor.com/threads/490/

https://indyfor.com/threads/499/

Okay, to start off, I jacked up the car and took the driver's side wheel off. That's the side the code reader told me what bad.

bmw-lifted-floor-jack.jpg

This is where the ABS wheel speed sensor bolts to the hub.

bmw-wheel-sensor-attached-to-hub.jpg

I didn't get a chance to see the size of the allen key for the bolt, but it's nothing fancy. The bolts aren't very tight either.

abs-wheel-speed-sensor-bolt.jpg

allen-wrench-bolt.jpg

I took the bolt out and then had to lightly tap the end of a flat screwdriver behind the sensor to loosen it up. The sensor seat sits right up against the hub and the sensor slides straight out. It takes a bit of wiggling to get the sensor out of the hole.

This is what the sensor for my car looks like. It's a 2009 BMW 328XI.

abs-wheel-speed-sensor.jpg

2009-bmw-328xi-abs-wheel-speed-sensor.jpg

I cleaned this side and then did the same to the other side. Since cleaning them made no difference, I ordered a new part. When I get it, I'll update this thread with the rest of the installation.

KodyWallice

KodyWallice

I received the replacement part this afternoon. I bought a Hella brand (part number: 012806101) from RockAuto.com for around $27. After tax and shipping, the total costs was around $32. That's not bad. I've seen this part on some auto parts websites for over $120. The most expensive brand on Rock Auto was a Bosch at about $47. The auto parts stores must be smoking something.

Anyway, I just went out and replaced the part. Again, I took some photos that I'll show below. The time to replace the speed sensor was about 15 minutes, from start to finish, and that includes jacking the car up, taking the tire off, and all that. It's an easy job if you know which sensor to fix. That's why I bought the code reader. The best part was, after I put the key in the ignition and started the car, the error lights immediately turned off. I didn't even have to drive the car. I was very please to see that. So either the sensor really was bad or there was a bad connection in the wires somewhere. I don't know and I don't care.

So overall, the entire job cost about $130. Most of that expense comes from the code reader. If I sell the car, I can include that in the price or I can sell the reader on Ebay if I ever get rid of the car. At least I can recoup some of the costs.

The "Service Engine Soon" light is still on though. I checked the oil level and it was a quart low. I'll need to actually plug the code reader back in to clear the codes. I added some oil and the light stayed on, so I'm guessing that just comes on every so often. I'll also plug the reader back in, just to see if there are any more error codes I should be aware of. I like that little piece of electronics. It's good to own.

Anyway, here are some photos of the sensor replacement from this afternoon.

This is the Hella ABS wheel speed sensor in its packaging.

hella-abs-wheel-speed-sensor.jpg

This is the blue electrical connection. To open the plastic housing, I flipped the two clips up on the bottom and it opened right up. Then, to pull the plug apart, I pushed one clip and and gave both sides a yank.

abs-wheel-speed-sensor-electrical-connector.jpg

This is the old malfunctioning ABS wheel speed sensor for the 2009 BMW 328XI.

malfunctioning-bmw-abs-wheel-speed-sensor.jpg

abs-wheel-speed-sensor-magnet.jpg

This is the Hella ABS wheel speed sensor out of the packaging. Part #012806101.

hella-abs-wheel-speed-sensor-012806101.jpg

There are only a few connections to pull the sensor off and put it back on. First, pull the plug apart. Then, pull the rubber grommets out from their metal holders. Finally, unbolt the actual sensor from the spindle.

speed-sensor-rubber-grommets.jpg

wheel-speed-sensor-rubber-frame-attachment.jpg

After pushing the rubber grommets into their frame attachments, I plugged the new unit in and bolted it back up.

replaced-wheel-speed-sensor-plug.jpg

replaced-bmw-wheel-speed-sensor.jpg

If you have any questions, please ask down below. Thanks.

How to Replace an ABS Wheel Speed Sensor: 2009 BMW 328XI was posted on 07-08-2021 by KodyWallice in the Motor Forum forum.