How Long Do Battery Backups Last?

JodyBuchanan

JodyBuchanan

Reaction score
I admit that I'm not all too attentive to my two computer battery backups, but it seems like two things keep happening to them: one, the batteries keep dying, and two, the units themselves fail. I have no idea why. The batteries only last about a year before I have to buy new ones. This is highly irritating. I feel that the batteries in these backup devices should last a lot longer. Some last longer than others, but I'm not even sure I am going to use backups anymore, just because I get so annoyed at how fast the batteries become useless.

As far as the devices themselves failing, it's pretty weird. Sometimes they just shut off to never work again. They just end. What's worse is that it doesn't even take very long for this to happen. Of course they go bad after their warranty period, but in general, all it takes is a few years for these backups to end their lives. And just so you know, I'm talking exclusively about the APC brand here. I haven't ever looked at any other brand because APC is so popular. I'm getting tired of the whole thing, actually. Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this? It's maddening.

KristinaW

KristinaW

Reaction score
I completely agree with you. In my opinion, battery backup batteries go dead way too fast. It's like a bad joke these companies are playing on us. The last thing I want to do is buy a new battery every year. I want to throw away or recycle the old battery even less.

EmeraldHike

EmeraldHike

Reaction score
The biggest problem I face with battery backups is that I only use one per computer in my home (like the rest of the world, pretty much). Because of this, there's a single point of failure with each one. Because I have everything in the area plugged into the backup, when the battery goes dead or the backup itself goes dead, everything just shuts off. Oftentimes, I don't even know the battery has gone bad. It's only when there's a blip in the power that I find out. My computer completely shuts down.

I know that in the web hosting and business world things are different. I've read that servers can have multiple power supply units (PSUs) and because of that, they're able to use more than one uninterrupted power supply (UPS). In many industries, APC units are used for smaller units, but when it comes to larger rack mounted servers, HP and Compaq UPSs are used.

CampFireJack

CampFireJack

Reaction score
This is just par for the course when it comes to backups. Everything that uses a battery eventually dies. It's just the way it is. Batteries can only be charged a limited number of times. I've actually had decent luck with the APC units I've owned. Yes, some have expired due to old age, but those that have gone bad have only gone bad after many years. It's usually the dead batteries that I deal with most, not the actual backup going bad in some fashion. I have had failures though. Through the years, I admit that I've purchased off-brand units. I haven't had good luck with them. They've all failed. For my personal computer, I still run the APC that I bought nine years ago. I'm now on the third battery, if that helps any.

JodyBuchanan

JodyBuchanan

Reaction score
What I think bothers me the most about these things going bad is that when they do, they immediately cut the power, with no notice whatsoever. It would be great if the manufacturers made it so when the battery can no longer hold a charge, the unit still works. Sort of like a fail to "power on" as opposed to "power off." I mean, here I am, thinking that I'm protecting my equipment with a battery backup, only to have everything that's plugged into it shut off with no notice. Perhaps it's better than the alternative. Maybe it's better to have everything shut off when there's not an emergency situation. That way, I can get a new battery for when it really matters.

How Long Do Battery Backups Last? was posted on 07-15-2021 by JodyBuchanan in the Tech Forum forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
[email protected]
Site by Gaulard.com.