Charging My Motorcycle Battery - Why is it Bubbling/Fizzing?

Cameron

Cameron

Reaction score
The battery in my 2005 Suzuki Boulevard S50 has been fine all summer. I've been riding the bike and it's been starting without hesitation. The battery has been holding a charge with no problems at all. That all changed when I inadvertently left the lights on one night. This completely drained the battery and left it with nothing at all. I've been trying to charge it up to no avail. It's like it won't take a charge at all. A friend owns a Black & Decker battery charger and told me he can recondition the battery, so we gave that a shot. I really had nothing to lose, since the battery was dead anyway. We reconditioned the battery for a few days, but now when we put the trickle charger back on, I can hear a slight fizzing or bubbling noise coming from the bottom. Is this bad? The battery doesn't feel hot at all - or even warm for that matter. It's not like it's boiling or being overcharged either. What's going on? Should I be worried?

Newman

Newman

Reaction score
What are the amp hours on the battery? I looked up a replacement battery for your bike and see the average is 16 amp hours. The rule is that you divide that number by 10 to find your charging rate, as to not overcharge it. This would mean that you shouldn't be charging the battery with anything more than 1.6 amps. Since you say you've got it on a trickle charger, I don't think this is your problem, especially since the battery isn't warm or hot.

Cameron

Cameron

Reaction score
Newman said:
What are the amp hours on the battery? I looked up a replacement battery for your bike and see the average is 16 amp hours. The rule is that you divide that number by 10 to find your charging rate, as to not overcharge it. This would mean that you shouldn't be charging the battery with anything more than 1.6 amps. Since you say you've got it on a trickle charger, I don't think this is your problem, especially since the battery isn't warm or hot.
Here's a picture of the battery:

motocross-platinum-motorcycle-battery.jpg

It's a Motocross Platinum Original Equipment battery (YB16B-A1) with a part number of M22161. There's no information on the amp hours on the battery. I have seen other motorcycle batteries with their amp hours displayed right on the front, so I'm curious as to why this one isn't showing anything. When I search the part number, I find a comparable battery that people use for the Suziki S50 motorcycles. It sells for around $82 on Amazon. It's called a Yuasa YUAM22161 YB16B-A1 Battery. I'm assuming this is the same exact battery, but under a different brand name.

I'm using a NOCO Genius2 as the charger and it charges at only 1 amp, so I don't think the charger is the problem.

CaptainDan

CaptainDan

Reaction score
You need to be very careful when describing what is happening inside the battery. Large bubbles and a lot of heat is called boiling. This occurs when the amperage entering the battery from the charger is too much for the battery to absorb. When the amperage is too high, bubbles form to create a flammable hydrogen gas, which is extremely explosive when mixed with air. A dangerous situation indeed.

The more likely situation in your case is just bubbles forming in between the plates inside the battery as the electrons enter it. The bubbles start off small, but then grow in size to make noise and rise to the top of the interior liquid.

If you've got a battery tender (smart charger in float mode) connected to the battery and the battery is making sounds like a glass of soda (pop - fizzy drink - carbonated beverage), then don't worry about it. Most people will say this is normal. If you've got larger bubbles though and it sounds like you're boiling a pop of pasta with a rolling boil on your stove top, yeah, you better disconnect that battery pronto. You're definitely overcharging it. Either way, keep an eye on things to make sure they don't get out of hand.

Charging My Motorcycle Battery - Why is it Bubbling/Fizzing? was posted on 08-16-2021 by Cameron in the Motor Forum forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
[email protected]
Site by Gaulard.com.