Suzuki Boulevard S50 Battery Installation Problems

Newman

Newman

Reaction score
I am having a helluva time dealing with the battery installation in my 2005 Suzuki Boulevard S50. Finding it and removing the old one from the bike was a chore and a half and now that I have to install a new one - well, let's just say I'm ready to go nuts. Why in the world did Suzuki decide to hide the battery all the way at the bottom of this bike? It's such a pain to deal with. Basically, I left the lights on one night and the battery was drained until it went completely dead. I couldn't charge it at all. For some reason it wouldn't hold a charge in the least. I tried everything, even reconditioning it. Nothing worked, so I just bought a new lead acid battery. For anyone who needs help finding their battery in this bike, this video should help:

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S50 Battery Change

Te problem is, the new battery I bought uses some strange hardware. There are two posts for the positive and negative terminals that have got holes in them. The holes aren't top to bottom, but side to side. There are nuts and bolts to use as well, but the problem is, once I place the nuts in place next to the posts and slide the battery up into position and try to push the bolts through, the nut gets knocked over and I have to start over again. I'm at my wits end.

My question is: does anyone have any ideas for how I can keep the battery terminal nuts held in place so I can screw the bolt into it?

Cameron

Cameron

Reaction score
People have been plagued by the problem you're describing forever. Some bikes hide their batteries, but snowmobiles are the worst. With some snowmobiles, you really have to snake the battery down and behind so many things. When it comes time to attach the wires to the terminals, the task can become very difficult. Those nuts rarely stay in position and they fall off never to be seen again.

Professionals use a little trick that can help immensely. Basically, what you need to do is put the nut in position on the terminal post and then wedge a piece of rubber hose, sponge, foam - whatever - behind the nut so it's being pressed up against the terminal. This way, that nut will stay in place as the battery is moved into its home. And since whatever it is you choose to wedge behind the nut is soft, when you screw the bolt into the nut and it hits that soft backing, it really doesn't matter. You can bolt right into it and the soft object will give way.

Here are a few videos to show you what I'm trying to describe:

Battery Nut Hack

Never Lose Your Battery Bolts Again! Yuasa Bikemaster Batteries Plus Interstate

Newman

Newman

Reaction score
OMG! Thank you so much for your help. I think this will work out. I'm going to try it in a little while.

Two quick questions:

1. When connecting the red and black wires from my motorcycle to the battery, which terminal do I connect to first?

2. Let's say I lose a terminal nut or bolt. What's the size of those in case I need to replace them?

Thanks.

Cameron

Cameron

Reaction score
No problem. Glad I can help.

To answer your questions:

1. When removing a battery, first disconnect the black negative wire and then connect the red positive wire. When replacing a battery, reverse that order. Attach the red positive wire first and then the black negative wire.

2. There is a universal size for motorcycle battery nuts and bolts. It is Course M6 (6mm x 1.0mm). Generally, the thread length is 12mm, but your battery may come with a few different bolt sizes (lengths), from shorter to longer, that may assist in your specific situation.

Suzuki Boulevard S50 Battery Installation Problems was posted on 08-21-2021 by Newman in the Motor Forum forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
[email protected]
Site by Gaulard.com.