Instructions for Making a Portfolio Rebalancing Spreadsheet

Phoenix1

It's almost as if figuring out your favorite asset allocation is the fun part. After all, you're going shopping and there are thousands of assets to buy. I personally enjoy perusing all the options and picking out what I like best. The issues arise when it comes time to determine exactly how many ETF shares you'll buy and how you'll track the percentages owned of each one. If you're not organized, things can get hairy very fast.

There are a few different routes you can take when you need to begin tracking your portfolio. You can use a paid service such as MarketRiders, Pure Financial Advisors, or a robo advisor that handles rebalancing automatically. Most online brokers offer this last service for a small fee. The thing is, now that most trade commissions are free from most online trading services such as ETrade, TD Ameritrade, and Charles Schwab, there's no reason you can't do this yourself. All you need to do is create a simple spreadsheet and keep it up to date. Sure, you'll need to do a little extra work such as reminding yourself to update the values of each asset and performing the trades themselves, but I'm sure you're quite capable of this. After all, you're reading a post such as this one, which goes to show how astute you are. I set my own portfolio rebalancing spreadsheet up in Google Sheets and I set reminders in Google Calendar, so it's all free. There's no cost to me at all. And really, I much prefer it this way. I enjoy being involved.

To create my spreadsheet, I followed the instructions given in this video. It was really easy to do. Google Sheets has all the necessary functions. Watch the video and ask any questions you might have down below.

Instructions for Making a Portfolio Rebalancing Spreadsheet was posted on 08-14-2020 by Phoenix1 in the Finance Forum.