What Are the Best Financial Self Help Books?

Newman

I've read a few, but I'd like to know about more. Perhaps there are some I missed. I'll admit that after a while, I can only be told to save and invest my money as opposed to spending it all, but I still love to read the opinions of others in this space. I also enjoy reading about passive income and early retirement. I don't think I can get enough of that. I'll list the books I've already read below, but if you have more suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!

Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki - I read this about 12 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. The best part about the book was the fact that it put me in the right frame of mind to be successful. Basically, it said not to wait for anyone else and to create the world in which I would like to live. My own success depends on me. I love that.

The Richest Man in Babylon by George Samuel Clason - I don't even remember when I read this book. It was a long time ago. I hardly remember it, but looking on the Wikipedia page, it's beginning to come back to me. The book includes parables and rules. For example, here's one of the rules:

The First Law of Gold. Gold cometh gladly and in increasing quantity to any man who will put by not less than one-tenth of his earnings to create an estate for his future and that of his family.

Many of the books I've read have overlapping themes and I wonder if the majority of them come from this book. It pretty much covers everything.

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey - I had to read this book back when I was attending Westchester Community College in Valhalla, New York with Professor John D. Christesen. I do remember it was a very goal oriented book that had a lot to do with personality types.

How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie - This isn't a financial self help book, per se, but I'm going to include it in this list regardless. It's a fantastic timeless book that will certainly aid you in making money if you depend on the interactions with people to do so. Every salesperson and manager should read this book. Actually, everyone who ever says at least one words to anyone else should read it. One of my favorites.

The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas J. Stanley and William D. Danko - This is a must own book. It's full of stats that'll make you feel pretty bad if you're a high earner and big spender. It explains quite extensively why you should be saving as opposed to spending and it gives case study after case study to clarify any misconceptions. After a while, the book becomes sort of repetitive because of all the stats, but it really drills the point of the book into your head.

I have probably read a few more, but I can't seem to remember them off the top of my head. I'll add them later if they come to mind. So my question to you is, what should I be reading? What's your favorite financial self help book? Please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there can be a "best" financial self help book because it depends on where an individual is in their life. If they're young and wanting to learn about savings and investing, then they should go with one type of book, but if they're older and in some serious debt, but would like to get out of it, then they should read another type of book. I get what you're saying though because there are some books, in general, that are really great for just about anyone to read.

I recently came across a post that discussed ten different books for people who are experiencing different scenarios or who are in different stages of life. I thought it was a great post so I'll list the books here and next to them, I'll list what age group they might be appropriate for.

- Why Didn't They Teach Me This in School? (20s, 30s)
- Rich Dad Poor Dad (teens - 30s)
- The Total Money Makeover (40s, 50s)
- The Automatic Millionaire (30s, 40s)
- Your Money or Your Life (40s - 60s)
- The Millionaire Next Door (30s - 50s)
- Broke Millennial (20s, 30s)
- You Are a Badass at Making Money (20s - 40s)
- How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free (50s - 70s)
- Secrets of Six-Figure Women (20s - 40s)

Let me know what you think of this list. I'd like to see what you think about it. There really are some good resources in it.