What's the Best Gaming Console for 2020?

JGaulard

Staff member
A few days ago, I got this great idea. I was looking for a new hobby and I thought that I'd get into gaming. I'm in my 40s now and the last time I played video games was a few decades ago. Back then, I played Unreal and loved every minute of it. I think this was the very first Unreal game. If memory serves, this was around 1998 or 1999. What a great game.

Anyway, before that, it was just screwing around with my friends while playing Nintendo and Zelda, if you can remember that. This was back in 1990 and 1991. Two of my friends had those Nintendo boxes (NES) and another had PlayStation. Zelda was a favorite with the Nintendo crowd and Duck Hunt was a favorite for PlayStation. Oh yeah, I think Metroid was another favorite for NES too. And a few others. Man, I can remember playing Thexder on my family's computer in the 80s. I am getting way too old. Check this out.

My idea was to really get into gaming (I mean addicted to it) and then build a forum around it. I have seen some really huge gaming discussion boards out there and I would love to cultivate one like those. I completely understand that those boards are years and years old, but still, I would enjoy playing games and then writing about them online. This is what I do for a living, so I'm used to the struggle. My ambition got the better of me and I built this forum instead. This one will include gaming along with a lot of other topics. I like to write and I simply can't limit myself to gaming. I'd still like to get into it though.

Since I wanted to start off cheap, I set up a Stadia account. I did this for free and at $9.99 per month for a Pro account, it didn't seem like a bad deal. I would pay the monthly fee for premium and get some discounts on a few decent games and I'd be off to the races. Of course I'd have to buy the controller for another $70, but I thought that was a small price to pay to get into some good fun.

The problem is, before I bought anything, I looked around NeoGAF for a bit and discovered that Stadia is all but dead. I read thread after thread that talked about how Stadia had let everyone down with a lousy launch and how they have a very limited game assortment. The limited games don't really bother me, but if I'm going to get into gaming, I want to go with a winning system. I don't want to get into a platform that's bleeding out.

So my question is, is Stadia any good? I love the idea of not owning very much hardware and playing online. That's appealing to me. I will buy a console if need be, but I first need to know what the hottest one is in 2020. I recently asked a friend who's really into gaming and he says that it's a toss up between Xbox and PlayStation. He said that he's leaning towards Xbox though, which is kind of what I already read online. The thing is, at $299, it has to be good. I'm reading that there's over 2,200 games to choose from though, which is nice. All I want is a good first person shooter and a nice indy car race game for my lady and me to play together.

If you're a gamer, please leave your input below. I'd surely appreciate it. If it's Xbox, then it is and I'll pick one up. If it's something else, convince me it is and I'll go that route instead. Thanks!

It's the Xbox S and the Xbox X. If you've got the equipment to handle 4K, get the X and if you don't, get the S. Both are a few years old right now and the S costs $299 on Amazon while the X costs $499. Check out this comparison.

JGaulard

Staff member
It's the Xbox S and the Xbox X. If you've got the equipment to handle 4K, get the X and if you don't, get the S. Both are a few years old right now and the S costs $299 on Amazon while the X costs $499. Check out this comparison.

Thanks. I watched the video and it was pretty good. I think the first thing I need to do is figure out which consoles are available at the moment and how old they are. I was just reading an article about which are the best Xbox games for 2020 and learned a lot. Apparently, as far as consoles go, there is the Xbox One S, the Xbox One S All Digital Edition, and the Xbox One X. They say the Xbox Series X is set to be released by the end of 2020, so I may just wait for that. I'd rather have something more modern than something that's already 4 or 5 years old, even if they are awesome.

I think what I was more interested in was the games. I found this list of the best Xbox games for 2020. Check it out and let me know what you think. Are there favorites among these? Which is the best? What does everyone love?

Apex Legends
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Battlefield 1
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)
Control
Cuphead
Doom Eternal
Dragon Age: Inquisition
FIFA 20
Fortnite Battle Royale
Forza Horizon 4
Gears 5
Grand Theft Auto V
Halo 5: Guardians
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Middle-Earth: Shadow of War
Minecraft
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Overwatch
Red Dead Redemption 2
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Sea of Thieves
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

At the end of the article, there were some questions and answers. Things like, which is the best game? Which is the best Xbox console? Which is better, Xbox or PlayStation? It was pretty good. I think I'm beginning to wrap my head around things.