Why Blogging is Good

Newman

Let's forget about business blogging and all of the supposed benefits blogging can offer your company as a whole. I'm not even sure those benefits exist anymore, now that every company on earth has jumped on this bandwagon. What I'd like to discuss in this post has more to do with personal blogging and how it can make you a better human being. Well, not even that. It can make "you" someone you like being around a lot more. It's good for the soul and the art of writing regularly can encourage tremendous personal growth. Trust me. I've been doing this for over 14 years. I doubt I'd be the person I am today without the creative outlet we call blogging.

I'll list a few reasons I think personal blogging is beneficial below and then expand upon each. Mind you, these won't be in any particular order and may come from my own personal experiences. Beware.

1. Blogging can make you seem interesting. I began writing online way back in 2004. I bought a house and posted pictures and stories to show it off to my friends and family. A strange thing happened after I began passing my website address around. Folks who I would never have expected to, came up to me and began discussing what I was up to. Apparently, my website and made its way to the far flung corners of the earth and I began gaining regular followers. This, in turn, gave me encouragement to continue on and within just a few years, I had passed the 2,000 post mark. Even today, I receive comments on posts I've written over a decade ago. And some posts have received hundreds of comments, which as you can guess, makes me seem somewhat important and dare I say, interesting.

2. Blogging can change someone's life. I don't want to come off more important than I really am, but I would like to share a quick story. A few months ago, I wrote a blog post about walking through some woods. I expressed how tranquil the atmosphere was and how grounded the experience made me feel. I went on for a while, but stopped before I went overboard. I have a tendency to do that sometimes and I didn't want to come off as over-sentimental. When I was finished, I published the post. The next morning, after my email subscribers had all received the post in their email box, I became the recipient of a personal note from an elderly woman who lives on a small island off the coast of Maine. She expressed how much she loved what I had written and then went on to share some personal experiences from her own life that my writing had reminded her of. She had recently lost her husband and a few of my perspectives conjured up memories of him. I was taken aback by the woman's revelations, but quickly responded to her and we became pen-pals for some time. And this was only one instance I refer to. Through the years, I've received many personal notes from readers that have sort of guided my writing style. I've calmed my tone, kept away from some topics altogether, and focus on quality versus quantity. I like to think that I sometimes have an impact on people, which makes me feel good.

3. Writing can help you grow professionally. When I began writing, I wasn't the best at it. I'm still not, but I'm a heck of a lot better than I used to be. I can't tell you how many grammar books I've read since I began blogging and how many words I've checked for spelling on Google. Let me just say - a lot. Even today, I sometimes type so fast that I skip and misspell words and forget my grammar. I also whip through the editing and proofreading process way to quickly, which I know I should work on. But again, I'm so much better at writing these days than I ever was. Through the years, as I continued to learn, I came to realize that there's a severe shortage of qualified writers out there. It's remarkable how few people know how to form proper sentences and paragraphs, no less create the structure for an entire story or article. I also learned how critical writing is during every day life. The process of writing is sort of a microcosm for life as a whole. If you're able to piece together and formulate a story in an organized and coherent way, other areas of your life may follow, not only personally, but professionally as well. I've worked in many offices where I was able to pick out who could write well and who could not, simply by the mannerisms of those I was judging. I know, it seems terrible to say. But once the mind is organized, the life also becomes organized, which can help you in all aspects of professional life.

4. Blogging can help you express yourself. I would say that self expression is the most important and rewarding manifestations of blogging, especially if you blog anonymously. I've written on both blogs where I've used my real name as well as those where I've gone under a pen name. Let me tell you that writing under a pen name is one of the most liberating activities you can partake in. It's simply lovely. This isn't to say that I haven't written articles that proud of while using my name, I'm just saying that I can feel the creative freedom coursing through my veins as I write when no one knows who I am. Try it, you'll see what I'm talking about. Just be sure to stay positive about what you share. Anyway, self expression is healthy for the mind and writing regularly on a blog or something similar, so the public can see and judge, is a unique experience only understood by those who do it. If you consider how often you truly express yourself to those you know, you'll quickly realize that you've hidden a lot through your life. Set yourself free. Write to your heart's content on your very own blog.

5. You'll learn a lot and go places. Here's a little secret not many people know about blogging. It drags you places you would never have gone otherwise. You see, when you begin blogging, every action you take becomes a potential post. No longer do you simply hop in your car to go grocery shopping. Now, as a blogger, you bring your camera and stop off on the way to take photos of you standing in front of that bulldozer you've been passing right by for the past six years. Vacations take on new meaning. Trips you would never have taken become part of "work." Conversations with people turn over and over in your mind, only to be written coyly about on a page of your website. Hidden, if need be. You eat your blog, dream your blog, and become your blog. And that's the beauty of it all.

Do you blog? If so, please let me know your favorite part of doing so. And if you don't yet and have any questions, please ask me down below. I'd love to get you started.