Introduction to Creative Writing

KristinaW

I love to write. I just wish I knew how to do it better. Well, that's going to change because I've decided, after all these years, to finally learn how to write like a professional. I'm going to learn about the parts of a story and how to organize my ideas so they make sense to anyone who decides to read them. And guess what? I've already begun. I've been reading through a few different creative writing books and have learned so much already. I'll be sharing what I learn ad nauseam in this forum. This is just a sneak peek of what I've got in mind...

Have you ever noticed how large a part of our society revolves around the art of storytelling? Whether the story be conveyed the way of traditionally written books, movies, video games, or plays, to name a few, stories permeate every inch of our existence. They've even been told around campfires as the spoken word. This form goes back thousands and thousands of years and was used by many to assist with the continuity of beliefs and continuation of religions. The story is an exceptional part of who we are. Whether the story we hear is absolutely and unmistakably true or completely and utterly false, it helps us make sense of the world in which we live. It organizes and calms a sometimes reckless and seemingly out of control world. Or, it adds energy an vigor to what some view as a boring and methodical existence. Whatever your take, there's no denying that stories have helped form what we've become and and what we believe.

If there's one type of story that creates the backbone of all literature, it's got to be fiction. As I mentioned above, writing and storytelling permeates all corners of our culture, but none does it better than fiction. These stories, where characters, scenes, settings, and storyline are made up, allow our imaginations to run wild with intense fun, pain, love, or all of the above. They've been around forever will likely be around forever. They're engaging and many pieces of fiction have lasted for hundreds of years. Think about all the classics you've heard of, from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë to A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. Perhaps The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde to The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky. No matter the title or the author, many fiction books are timeless and have transcended quite a few cultural creations as well as collapses.

In the following posts I share about writing, storytelling, and literature as a whole, I'll be focusing on specific areas of the art - some basic ideas, if you will, to start off with. I'd like to explore topics such as what the narrative forms of literature are and how they can create meaning in the stories we read. I'll also describe, compare, and contrast the two primary genres of literary narratives; the novel and the short story. I'd like to learn about and discuss how these two genres have changed through the years, how they've had to adapt to different reading audiences, and where I think they'll be heading in the future.

We all interpret writing and storytelling in different ways. We even have the potential to study the art of writing quite differently than those who may be sitting right next to us doing the same thing. No matter our technique, we all still need to gain a basic understanding of the fundamentals. We need models and structures. Methods and guides to follow. It's for this reason that as I learn, I'll be devising my own method of learning and I'll be sharing that with you. To start off with in a few posts down the line, I'll be paying extra special attention to the concept of story versus discourse. Understanding this concept will set the stage for everything else I learn and share.

If you'd like to peek ahead, you can take a look at this page. It explains the ins and outs of story and discourse quite well.

https://www2.anglistik.uni-freiburg.de/intranet/englishbasics/Discourse01.htm

Introduction to Creative Writing was posted on 08-22-2020 by KristinaW in the Writing Forum.