Outside Edge of Rear Tire Wearing Out

I'm having a small issue that I can't seem to figure out. Let me give you some background.

A few years ago, I had my original car tires replaced. All four of them. There was about 30,000 miles on the car and a few of the tires were looking old. I thought this was strange that the tires would wear out so quickly, but I did spend about six months in Florida driving around and I hear that the hot Florida roads wear tires out faster than normal cooler roads. Anyway, at 30,000 miles (maybe it was 38,000 miles), I had a brand new set of Prometer tires installed on the car. These new tires only cost around $55 a piece, but they weren't rated terribly. They're still not. People seem to like them, although some say that they wear out quickly.

My specific issue is that they seem to wear unevenly. I first noticed this last year. One of the tires was almost completely worn on the outer edge, like, to the point of the belts showing. I rotated the tires and figured that I had driven the car when that one tire was under-inflated. I've recently replaced that tire and since I first noticed the wearing, I've been very careful about the air pressure of all the tires. The thing is, I'm now noticing another tire beginning to wear on the outer edge. This one is in a different position on the car and it's definitely had the correct air pressure since it had good tread. I'm thinking that the car may be out of alignment, but the tricky part is that this particular tire is on the rear driver's side. How the heck does a tire wear out on the rear of the car? On the outer edge? Take a look.

I'm not sure what to do. The car only has about 50,000 miles on it and these tires couldn't wear out in just 15,000 miles, right? Has anyone ever heard of this? Can car tires really wear out so quickly? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

PS - I'm reading about outer edge tire wear and people seem to talk about alignment. This doesn't seem to fit in my situation since the car is so young and since this is happening to a rear tire.

https://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-resources/info/understanding-tire-wear/

Attachments

• worn-rear-car-tire.jpg
    worn-rear-car-tire.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator: